MALIBU Blower motor mystery

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Hi guys. Blower wasn’t blowing found it was that black wire!
That said, I noticed on examination a little bright orange light coming from the hole near the plug. Does anybody know what’s underneath there causing this light that is admiting…. I’m fearing it might be a coil or somethings burning I do not smell anything and I do not see smoke. It’s a pin hole orange light. Scary

Attachments

• IMG_4429.jpeg
    IMG_4429.jpeg
    401.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4428.jpeg
    IMG_4428.jpeg
    649.9 KB · Views: 34

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Something is wrong cause there is no light inside. Either a steady spark or an actual flame. I'd pull it to test it better away from anything that could burn if dare but a new one should be the fix.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Something is wrong cause there is no light inside. Either a steady spark or an actual flame. I'd pull it to test it better away from anything that could burn if dare but a new one should be the fix.
Sad part of this is that it is new at least a year. Oem I will explore this next week. Thanks

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
Well it's or is it? possible your just seeing the tiny sparking from the commutator and brushes breaking in or running ?

Reactions: 1 user

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Well it's or is it? possible your just seeing the tiny sparking from the commutator and brushes breaking in or running ?
On running yes! Thanks Bob blowing was a no go.. went under the hood noticed that the black wire plug. A bit nasty , plastic is a bit eroded. When I inserted the plug she began to blow. Wella!! THEN I noticed near that plug base there is a tiny hole I said oh ! A light. Then I said: that’s no light! So I un plugged it. All went off no blower no light nadda. I plugged it back in lil. Sparkling then all good. But that red orange spot of light is back. It is this ok. Or is it melting something? Thanks Bob Dez

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
One year old, supposedly an OEM part, but made or produced WHERE?? The blower motor is a sealed unit for the most part. There ought not to be chinks or open spots where light? can appear. As one thought this could be a result of poor quality control or even poorer production work at the plant or shop way off in wherever land that built the motor.
Another thought of mine here is that, albeit offered as an OEM part, it could be just a unit that was rebuilt or refurbished and shipped out as an OEM replacement. Reference Hurst Olds/69's ongoing thread about the efforts he is making to do a genuine OEM grade rebuild of a Delco Alternator. In his build, all his parts are factory OEM or post market recognized service components. All it takes is one mediocre or poorly made component to ruin an assembly and shorten the products life considerably.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
One year old, supposedly an OEM part, but made or produced WHERE?? The blower motor is a sealed unit for the most part. There ought not to be chinks or open spots where light? can appear. As one thought this could be a result of poor quality control or even poorer production work at the plant or shop way off in wherever land that built the motor.
Another thought of mine here is that, albeit offered as an OEM part, it could be just a unit that was rebuilt or refurbished and shipped out as an OEM replacement. Reference Hurst Olds/69's ongoing thread about the efforts he is making to do a genuine OEM grade rebuild of a Delco Alternator. In his build, all his parts are factory OEM or post market recognized service components. All it takes is one mediocre or poorly made component to ruin an assembly and shorten the products life considerably.

Nick
Thanks Nick. The blower motor was a purchase through eBay as it seemed to be a new old stock. So I was pretty sure that would have been a better route then the rock auto. Etc. the box it arrived in was old school to boot. So. Who knows.
Speaking about the red/orange glow that seems to be coming from the case the blower motor sits in. Is there a heat coil in there or a constant ⚡️ spark? Do you think that I could have you point me to a vendor that you trust as I will pop a new one in there. Thanks Nick. 1979 coupe Chevy

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Can't honestly say that I can. simply because most of the vendors use the same or similar sources for their inventory and a large percentage of it comes from far off-shore. This is an ongoing topic on this board and the heading is "Quality"

Personally, I have sourced parts and components from Original Parts Group (OPGI) and they have just introduced their new for 24 on line catalogue. It might be worth the few minutes needed to dowload it just to take a peek and see what they have to offer.

I will point out that there several beards grayer than mine on this board who would be able to offer or suggest other possible sources (other than E-Boy) for your potential replacement.

As for that red/orange glow you keep mentioning, the only thing that might glow is an item called the blower motor resistor which is socketed into the heater box somewhere close by the blower motor itself. Thing here is that the only way you could see the elements of that resistor is if there was a crack or hole in the upper box surface itself.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Can't honestly say that I can. simply because most of the vendors use the same or similar sources for their inventory and a large percentage of it comes from far off-shore. This is an ongoing topic on this board and the heading is "Quality"

Personally, I have sourced parts and components from Original Parts Group (OPGI) and they have just introduced their new for 24 on line catalogue. It might be worth the few minutes needed to dowload it just to take a peek and see what they have to offer.

I will point out that there several beards grayer than mine on this board who would be able to offer or suggest other possible sources (other than E-Boy) for your potential replacement.

As for that red/orange glow you keep mentioning, the only thing that might glow is an item called the blower motor resistor which is socketed into the heater box somewhere close by the blower motor itself. Thing here is that the only way you could see the elements of that resistor is if there was a crack or hole in the upper box surface itself.

Nick
Thanks Nick. Check this out.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
O-Kaaay. It would appear to be a small orange/red dot at the base of a bolt that is used to attach the blower motor mounting flange to the heater box. Now me, being the curious sort, would be personally inclined to gently remove that screw, and all its companions, and lift the motor up and out to see what the fibre material that composes the heater box looks like. Be majorily ironic if the squirrel cage fan on the end of the motor id happen to catch itself a squirrel. Or if it is an extra washer that was placed under the screw because of rust and,new, was cad or bright plated and catches the light just so.....................

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor