MALIBU Blower motor mystery

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
O-Kaaay. It would appear to be a small orange/red dot at the base of a bolt that is used to attach the blower motor mounting flange to the heater box. Now me, being the curious sort, would be personally inclined to gently remove that screw, and all its companions, and lift the motor up and out to see what the fibre material that composes the heater box looks like. Be majorily ironic if the squirrel cage fan on the end of the motor id happen to catch itself a squirrel. Or if it is an extra washer that was placed under the screw because of rust and,new, was cad or bright plated and catches the light just so.....................

Nick
Thanks Nick. It’s f n freezing out no garage. That’s a bitcg!! On my way to Fla. providing we don’t get hit with a storm when I arrive home. I will check it out!!

Thanks for all Dez

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
One year old, supposedly an OEM part, but made or produced WHERE?? The blower motor is a sealed unit for the most part. There ought not to be chinks or open spots where light? can appear. As one thought this could be a result of poor quality control or even poorer production work at the plant or shop way off in wherever land that built the motor.
Another thought of mine here is that, albeit offered as an OEM part, it could be just a unit that was rebuilt or refurbished and shipped out as an OEM replacement. Reference Hurst Olds/69's ongoing thread about the efforts he is making to do a genuine OEM grade rebuild of a Delco Alternator. In his build, all his parts are factory OEM or post market recognized service components. All it takes is one mediocre or poorly made component to ruin an assembly and shorten the products life considerably.

Nick
Hey Nick! The blower motor is out of the car cleaning as I speak!! Well it was made in Canada!!
So how do we feel about that?
Also when you put it back in the fiber casing??? I noticed silicon glue. Do you recommend a gasket maker or ?? Thanks Dez

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
PreCovid one of the biggest parts manufacturers for automotive parts in Canada was Magna International. it is/was fairly probable that your blower motor either was made by them as an OEM accepted replacement, or they assembled it and many like it for shipment to the assembly plants in Oshawa and Norwalk, Ohio for first assembly install,.

As for the need to add a gasket, No I don't think so. Any blower motor that I have ever personally dealt with basically just came out when you disconnected the battery and the power and ground wires, and then installation was the reverse of whatever you did to remove it. I did take a peek at the OPGI catalogue they don't show a gasket with their options for that motor.

I would tend to be more concerned about the condition of the flange to which the motor is secured. The heater box is not metal, more sort of a fibre re-inforced composite and it can break from abuse or UV deterioration. Damage can be repairee and there is a two part powder/activator that when used will fuse a damaged piece back to the parent part. It is called "Q-Bond" and you can check it out at www.qbond.net. It is also useful for filling in attaching holes if the screw has wallowed out the threads or if you had to extract a broken screw and damaged the threads when you did it.

As a suggestion, I might give some thought to using a vacuum with a skinny nozzle on it and vacuum out the heater box. Also as a while you're there, in what shape is the heater core?

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
PreCovid one of the biggest parts manufacturers for automotive parts in Canada was Magna International. it is/was fairly probable that your blower motor either was made by them as an OEM accepted replacement, or they assembled it and many like it for shipment to the assembly plants in Oshawa and Norwalk, Ohio for first assembly install,.

As for the need to add a gasket, No I don't think so. Any blower motor that I have ever personally dealt with basically just came out when you disconnected the battery and the power and ground wires, and then installation was the reverse of whatever you did to remove it. I did take a peek at the OPGI catalogue they don't show a gasket with their options for that motor.

I would tend to be more concerned about the condition of the flange to which the motor is secured. The heater box is not metal, more sort of a fibre re-inforced composite and it can break from abuse or UV deterioration. Damage can be repairee and there is a two part powder/activator that when used will fuse a damaged piece back to the parent part. It is called "Q-Bond" and you can check it out at www.qbond.net. It is also useful for filling in attaching holes if the screw has wallowed out the threads or if you had to extract a broken screw and damaged the threads when you did it.

As a suggestion, I might give some thought to using a vacuum with a skinny nozzle on it and vacuum out the heater box. Also as a while you're there, in what shape is the heater core?

Nick
Hey thanks , I can always count on you for a proper answer . Yes the fiber is a bit
Soft around the threads …. I will get the Q-Bond and get that secured!! Funny how this was on the top of my mind as you mentioned it . I’m looking for the power wire clip as that has cracked in half.
I can’t seem to find one in my tool box.
Do you know the proper name for this as I hood replacement would not hurt. I have also looked around for blower motor wire etc they are not showing like the one on the car ?

Here’s a link to the video

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Going to be a disappointment to you here as I don't apple anything and I-cloud and I are not on electronic speaking terms. As for the electrical connector, any G-Body hulk in a nearby salvage yard ought to have the harness for the motor still resident. Of course there is always the yard guy who is fast on the draw with his/her side cutters or box cutter knife.

As me swagging it here, maybe

or

if this is what you are looking for.

If you do happen to go the yard route and get one that has been clipped, the wires with their connector ends can be slipped out of the shell or connector body if you use a fine tip removal tool like is used for the metripack generation of connectors. Check an electonics or tool shop for them. After that, the end itself ought to be just a spade female but do be aware that the generic version of that end may or may not work and that electronics shop you buy the tool at ought to have the correct version of the ends as well. Bought mine by the dozen in a roll.

Nick

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Going to be a disappointment to you here as I don't apple anything and I-cloud and I are not on electronic speaking terms. As for the electrical connector, any G-Body hulk in a nearby salvage yard ought to have the harness for the motor still resident. Of course there is always the yard guy who is fast on the draw with his/her side cutters or box cutter knife.

As me swagging it here, maybe

or

if this is what you are looking for.

If you do happen to go the yard route and get one that has been clipped, the wires with their connector ends can be slipped out of the shell or connector body if you use a fine tip removal tool like is used for the metripack generation of connectors. Check an electonics or tool shop for them. After that, the end itself ought to be just a spade female but do be aware that the generic version of that end may or may not work and that electronics shop you buy the tool at ought to have the correct version of the ends as well. Bought mine by the dozen in a roll.

Nick
Great again. As we are expected a snow storm 🌨️ ugh. I will get on it. Thanks for the advice. Your great!! Dez

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor