Body Bushings- Mike's Rubber vs Poly

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I questioned the rubber vs poly harshness debate. It seems 1 thing every gbody owner complains about is the noodle-like frame. Poly seems like it would slightly help in that department. My thoughts were worn suspension parts,tires/wheels would dictate harshness more than poly vs rubber bushings.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
When I pucked the back 4 on the Pig, it took all the tailwag out of it. However, that's restoring 4 mount points that weren't even there, so it's a little different.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I'm planning to go with the summit poly kit at this stage.

I agree that I hear a lot about people worried about harshness from poly and also that the frames are noodles. But I haven't heard of anyone with poly actually complain about harshness, only that they are worried about it.

I've already got 17" wheels and long tubes so it's not like I'm looking for a stock brougham cutlass ride.

Reactions: 3 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm planning to go with the summit poly kit at this stage.

I agree that I hear a lot about people worried about harshness from poly and also that the frames are noodles. But I haven't heard of anyone with poly actually complain about harshness, only that they are worried about it.

I've already got 17" wheels and long tubes so it's not like I'm looking for a stock brougham cutlass ride.

I put 2 poly mounts on the front of my cab on my K1500 and I absolutely cannot overstate how absolutely nearly comically HORRIBLE the truck was hitting potholes and cracks in the road. The cupholder in the dash was unusable. This alone concerns me on the Monte when deciding between rubber and poly. When I was able to find 2 clean mounts at the junkyard and put it back to stock it was a completely different truck.

• Informative

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
One of the biggest problems you find is that there always will be a question of quality in the rubber repros. It needs to be to whatever spec originally it was from the OEM, or better. Not sure if that's the case. I don't know.

Also, even if you decide to use NOS GM rubber mounts, and like mine, lived a life of luxury in a climate controlled home, hidden in boxes, without ozone and sun exposure, there always is that natural aging process of rubber bits to be concerned with. I checked mine the other day and they seem to still be perfectly pliable and useable.

Once replaced, many G-body owners will not treat the car like an A to B car anymore like original, so I would think any version of body bushings will lead a completely different life, which will be extended by years. Of course, poly has its advantages, too. Just depends on if you care about the cushy ride, or want something a bit stiffer. Your suspension system should match though. I mean, if you use poly bushings on the body, go ahead and use them on the suspension components too. No sense mixing and matching them. That kinda goes against the grain.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
While poly is firm, it is not solid at all. There is quite a lot of give to them. I've run rubber and poly and couldn't tell of any harshness difference. I ran solid motor mounts on a thumping bbc. That i promise you will feel.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I agree when both poly and rubber parts are new, there's not a ton of difference between them. But over time, the rubber seems to break down moreso than the poly types, resulting in a degrading ride faster. Just an observation not based on any lab testing.

• Agree

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I agree when both poly and rubber parts are new, there's not a ton of difference between them. But over time, the rubber seems to break down moreso than the poly types, resulting in a degrading ride faster. Just an observation not based on any lab testing.

Strange you guys aren't seeing much of a difference in ride quality. Then again these cars don't run load range E tires.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Strange you guys aren't seeing much of a difference in ride quality. Then again these cars don't run load range E tires.
Suspension can make a hella difference on the rest of the ride. Not saying polys won't beat your teeth out. Anything that won't absorb the shocks will transmit it to the body and you'll feel it more. It's just that for example, you can change your low profile tires or 12 plys to "normal" profiles and regular tires and it's also a night and day difference no matter which mounts you use. Depends also on how much spaghetti is in your frame and suspension system to begin with. Go straight from rubber to poly everything, and you'll notice big time. Just replace body mounts and keep mushy suspension, probably won't feel it as much.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Also you having replaced only 2 bushings with poly leaving the rest probably worn out only exacerbated the vibration you felt.
Apples and oranges brother

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor