Body Bushings- Mike's Rubber vs Poly

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
My 2+2 had hockey pucks and a full cage and stuff would buzz in cabin at highway speeds, like the glovebox or where two pieces of hard plastic rub against each other. My '13 Mustang and pretty much every modern/stiff car have similar buzziness.

Buy a roll of Butyl tape and stick a little between buzzy panels until the buzzing goes away.

Reactions: 1 user

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
Just did poly bushings on my car...I paid for the kit a while back but went to sleep on the project. It was a poly bushing kit from energy suspension. That said, everything went in with no problem; nothing missing no difference from stock in terms of how body panels are sitting on the frame.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
So I guess my question is answered that the rubber kit doesn't have all the bushings and you need to buy the core support bushings which is an additional $90.

$130+$90=$220 for rubber
$150 for poly

It's cheaper to get the energy suspensions or prothane kit over the rubber kit.

Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Curious which way you decide to go. I will be purchasing a body mount kit very soon for the Salon. The Prothane kit is affordable, but don't want to add any harshness, or squeeking. I thought the rubber might be the way to go, but then again, I want to be sure my body panels sit correctly, and have the best gaps possible.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Check out the Summit kit. Supposedly not as stiff as polyurethane but will last better than rubber. Hafrod spoke well of them. I bought a set that will hopefully be going in my car soon.....

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Check out the Summit kit. Supposedly not as stiff as polyurethane but will last better than rubber. Hafrod spoke well of them. I bought a set that will hopefully be going in my car soon.....

I think I'll give that one a shot! Thanks! That's really what I'm looking for, something that won't degrade like rubber but not rock stiff.

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
it's easy to overthink this.when you're thinking about rubber ones you start picturing the O.E wasted ones that have been exposed to the elements for 40 years and are in poor shape.the new ones aren't racquetball soft like you picture.they're still firm.the rubber from then to now isn't the same either,they'll still last 30+years.regardless of what you install it's bound to be stiffer than what came out BECAUSE they're not aged.it's like someone installs new shorter springs in the front of their ride and isn't happy with the stance.well the ones that came out were sagged/aged so the car had lowered itself over time and you were under the impression that was the stock height.poly came out as an alternative to solid-on the harsher side of things race car aluminum jobs.that being said,just like every suspension upgrade I've ever done my money gets something other than rubber every time.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I haven’t had the guts to do a body bushing swap yet but would opt for rubber, poly I’d suspect, and from what I recall from some others who have done it, creates a harsher ride. Probably depends on if it’s a street or more of a “race” car too. Poly has it’s place (I’ve used it for core support bushings) but I’d want some compliance/deflection.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have Energy Suspension bushings on both my Monte and Regal and the only harshness of ride came when I switched from 15" wheels on my Regal to 17" wheels even keeping the same overall diameter tires as the 15's but loosing 2" of sidewall make a noticeable difference in the ride.

• Wow
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Unless you're going for an OEM-style restoration, or unless you get the kit for free, I'd recommend poly bushings over OEM. And if you really want a position 5 bushing, OPGI sells a repro separately, for 51.98 per pair. Not sure if it is poly or not.

Bushing, Body, 1987 GNX, Position #5 @ OPGI.com

Which, calling it a GNX bushing IMO is stupid, because it was found in ALL sorts of different G-body variations over the years, even non-Turbo V6 cars.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor