body bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Just curious what everyone's opinions are on the body bushing kits being offered now a days. I've seen mainly just rubber and poly. Wanting to do this when I have the car in the air running new brake and fuel lines and was curious who had done this and which way you went(rubber or poly). Also any ideas on where to buy a complete kit with bolts and all needed bushings together?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Opinions will vary. Like which 5W-30 oil is best for my car. Either will make you happy when they're new.

If you get the proper pucks and washers/bolts, etc., either has advantages/disadvantages. Poly is likely to last a good long time, where the rubber will last a good while, but eventually will start to dry rot. Not saying they'll go bad soon, but the polys generally should outlive a rubber counterpart. If you don't get them real tight, polys COULD move on you and squeak. Usually not noticeable, but could be. Rubber bits don't usually squeak.

If you want it to LOOK factory, then go with black poly or factory bushings. The other colors just look stupid. Again, IMO. If you want it to BE factory fresh, go with the rubber. Depending on where you get them, you can usually buy the polys much cheaper than the GM ones, even if you can find them.They make aftermarket rubber ones, but I have no idea of their quality.

Kirban's sells a GM repro kit for 250.00. WITHOUT BOLTS I believe. Mike's Montes sells a similar kit with bolts for like 180.

You can check summit and places like that for poly stuff.

As for me, I'm going NOS rubber ones with GM bolts/washers. Because I'm going back totally stock.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Opinions will vary. Like which 5W-30 oil is best for my car. Either will make you happy when they're new.

If you get the proper pucks and washers/bolts, etc., either has advantages/disadvantages. Poly is likely to last a good long time, where the rubber will last a good while, but eventually will start to dry rot. Not saying they'll go bad soon, but the polys generally should outlive a rubber counterpart. If you don't get them real tight, polys COULD move on you and squeak. Usually not noticeable, but could be. Rubber bits don't usually squeak.

If you want it to LOOK factory, then go with black poly or factory bushings. The other colors just look stupid. Again, IMO. If you want it to BE factory fresh, go with the rubber. Depending on where you get them, you can usually buy the polys much cheaper than the GM ones, even if you can find them.They make aftermarket rubber ones, but I have no idea of their quality.

Kirban's sells a GM repro kit for 250.00. WITHOUT BOLTS I believe. Mike's Montes sells a similar kit with bolts for like 180.

You can check summit and places like that for poly stuff.

As for me, I'm going NOS rubber ones with GM bolts/washers. Because I'm going back totally stock.

Thanks for the info! I've looked at Summit and Gbodyparts.com so far. I've thought about the poly but wasn't sure on the ride quality between the two. I'm building just a fun street car that may see the track a couple times but mainly just street and cruises, 455BBO, 2004r trans. 8.5 rearend, coil overs all the way around. So just looking for something that will last but not have a ton of the interior vibration noises like I've read about in a few old posts about some harder poly and aluminum body mount bushings.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't think you'd notice the difference between poly and rubber. I went with the poly cause I would not trust NOS rubber bushings since they are past their life span and I would not trust the quality of the aftermarket rubber bushings. On our G body circle track cars rules were we had to have rubber bushing so we used hockey pucks

Last edited:
  • Agree

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
I don't think you'd notice the difference between poly and rubber. I went with the poly cause I would not trust NOS rubber bushings since they are past their life span and I would trust the quality of the aftermarket rubber bushings. On our G body circle track cars rules were we had to have rubber bushing so we used hockey pucks

I was actually reading your post about that on someone else’s old thread a little bit ago. Definitely an ingenuous idea. I never would have thought of using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Poly for sure here. I picked up a complete Prothane set from Summit Racing for a fairly reasonable price. I like a firmer ride in my cars tho, so to each their own.

Car is still under construction so I can’t comment on the ride NVH yet.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
I have the energy suspension poly kit. I only have about 4 miles on the car since I installed them, so I can't really speak to the performance, but they still look good.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Dorve the whole summer on my Energy Suspension poly body bushings. Huge difference from what I had. Of course most of them disintegrated. Now the body is actually attached to the frame which is always a good thing. LOL

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor