Body Guys - Clearcoat recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
rktpwrd:I'm not a paint pro, I've painted 3 vehicles with good success all done with the same base paint type (Automotive Art) and topped with PPG 530. I did my 2004 F150 1st, then the Monte, then the 2015. I did learn a little more pressure and the orange peel is very minimal. I get comments on the 2015 about the paint. The trucks were 2 clear and the Monte 3. The full pic of the Monte is just after paint, it did get wet sanded & buffed (well, almost done). The pic of the Camaro was taken into the door of the Monte. (watched that same video you posted)
20170605_075149.jpg 20180813_174744.jpg 20191223_074419.jpg 20200317_132804.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
i wish i could report on the higher side of things but he did say two's the norm and three's more than acceptable and i agree with that number.you're meeting the minimum mill thickness-even post sand/buff so no worries there..everyone's got a different hand with the cutting/polishing (i hate flow coating/and myself for doing it yet i still do it) but again they do call for "wet coats" ;)
i don't know what the booth is that you've got lined up but if it's temp controlled you can choose your reducer and put that portion out of your mind at least.

rktpwrd:I'm not a paint pro, I've painted 3 vehicles with good success all done with the same base paint type (Automotive Art) and topped with PPG 530. I did my 2004 F150 1st, then the Monte, then the 2015. I did learn a little more pressure and the orange peel is very minimal. I get comments on the 2015 about the paint. The trucks were 2 clear and the Monte 3. The full pic of the Monte is just after paint, it did get wet sanded & buffed (well, almost done). The pic of the Camaro was taken into the door of the Monte. (watched that same video you posted)
View attachment 145134 View attachment 145135 View attachment 145136 View attachment 145137

Again, excellent feedback guys. You have no idea how much I appreciate it at this point. Chris, thanks for the additional info on numbers of coats it’ll sustain, I’m not gonna push my luck beyond 3 coats. I was originally going to shoot for 4-6 so that I’d have lots of material to work with (I prefer to start color sanding for polishing at 1000 and work my way up), but I think I’d just be asking for trouble doing that with these new clears.

Ostrich, thanks as well for contributing to the discussion. So far I’m leaning towards the EC550 over the 520 or 530, just simply for the longer flash times (and therefore flowout). Speed and production is not a factor for me here, the opposite of what repair shops want in a product.

I’ve heard from several sources now about bumping up the air pressure when using these clears, I’m going to set my gun at 35 psi and configure the spray pattern from there. From everything I’ve heard and read, that should do the job nicely.

All you guys have posted up some beautiful pictures of your work, I can only hope mine comes out nearly as good!
No pressure now, thanks....
😅

Reactions: 2 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
View attachment 145134 View attachment 145135 View attachment 145136 View attachment 145137
Is that a garmat semi downdraft? If it is do you get clean jobs? I worked at a shop that had one and I couldn’t get a clean job to save my life. We have a new garmat full downdraft where I’m at now at its much better. I was lucky enough to be here when it was installed and I hounded the guy about what I felt were the booths shortcomings.

Edit: sorry for the derail

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm not sure what it is. I get to use the booth where my cousin works. It's actually a new one they just constructed because their old down draft booth met it's time. This one actually pulled air to the front and then out. I had to paint the back of the truck first because it drew the air forward and I didn't want to get stuff in the paint. It actually worked better that I thought. I painted the whit 2015 in it. The other 2 in the down draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor