Body Guys- Rust Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Sorry for the mess. I feel partly responsible:doh: Id go with rustmort if youve used it with success. I tried ospho. Its a pita if going under epoxy. The rattle can rustoleum rust converter is worthless too. ID think the rust mort then epoxy over it. That should outlive you.

Reactions: 2 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I am probably gonna wind up sticking to the rust mort. I know it won't react with my primer, at least the way I've prepped it, it hasn't. I don't mind the price of the picklex if it works, but waiting for shipping sucks. I can run 5 minutes down the road and buy as much Rust Mort as I want.

I've personally had very mixed results with POR-15. Its holding up great on my rear gas tank in my Ford truck but that's about the only time I ever had good results with it. Plenty of people swear by it though.

But I'm really looking for a phosphoric acid type product that converts the rust to iron phosphate so that it no longer reacts with oxygen rather than a coating like POR to seal it. Most of the metal is im working with is clean, except for these small pits. I'm used to the Rust Mort product but I'm second guessing myself because of what my buddy told me.
I might know of something, I’m not sure if it’s made anymore though. Ever hear of Qurox? Port Authority used it to treat the underside of busses during the summer.
I used some old stuff on a junk bed for my truck and I haven’t seen rust come through after 2 coats.

Maybe there’s something like it that’s still made?

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
Sorry for the mess. I feel partly responsible:doh: Id go with rustmort if youve used it with success. I tried ospho. Its a pita if going under epoxy. The rattle can rustoleum rust converter is worthless too. ID think the rust mort then epoxy over it. That should outlive you.

Haha, don't feel bad, it was worth a shot! I've never used Ospho. What kind of trouble did you have with it? My primer has some rust inhibiting abilities, so I think Im gonna stick to my original plan. As far as I know its never caused me any issues.
20200619_154107.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I might know of something, I’m not sure if it’s made anymore though. Ever hear of Qurox? Port Authority used it to treat the underside of busses during the summer.
I used some old stuff on a junk bed for my truck and I haven’t seen rust come through after 2 coats.

Yeah I’m dumb, it’s still made. Problem is it isn’t available on a consumer level.
I’ll check with my boss tomorrow and see if it can be bought through MSC Industrial.

Nov 4, 2012

Is that the rust converter stuff that goes on white and dries purplish/clear?

Nov 4, 2012
I think so. The bottle I had was old and had separated, but did dry to a purple/green hue.

I've got a gallon of it downstairs. It's very good at what it does, it'll just about stop rust dead, but it leaves a rough finish, it's textured almost like latex paint or something. We used it at one of my old jobs to paint steel stadium bleachers, then they would spray a heavy textured coating over it so you wouldn't see it.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
From what Ive read ospho has to be reactivated and washed off with water if you let it dry and are gonna put epoxy over it. If you don't it can lead to adhesion issues. Plus it worked mediocre at best. I remember in rktpwrds thread he uses plasicote(623 i think) rust converter It dries purple. I couldn't find it anywhere after weeks of searching I bought ospho.

Nov 4, 2012
From what Ive read ospho has to be reactivated and washed off with water if you let it dry and are gonna put epoxy over it. If you don't it can lead to adhesion issues. Plus it worked mediocre at best. I remember in rktpwrds thread he uses plasicote(623 i think) rust converter It dries purple. I couldn't find it anywhere after weeks of searching I bought ospho.

I see. Looks like that plastikote stuff only exists on plastikote's website. Hey Donovan Rktpwrd what have you got to say about all this?

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I see. Looks like that plastikote stuff only exists on plastikote's website. Hey Donovan Rktpwrd what have you got to say about all this?

sh*t, late to the party as usual. Sorry Joe.

All I can offer is my experiences, I used the Plasikote product that you’ve seen me reference in my thread. I’m a bit hesitant to make any recommendations to absolutely use it or not simply because I don’t have any long term results to provide feedback on it. I can say though, the science and chemistry is sound, any product like it that will convert the active oxidation into an inert compound. I also can safely say that I had no reactivity issues using it underneath the epoxy and high build primers.

I’ve used RustMort in the past as well with satisfactory results, the only thing I don’t like about that product is that it needs to be rinsed with water following the initial application and conversion. Putting water on bare metal is not conducive to good results in my opinion, and kinda defeats the purpose.

Going back to the PlastiKote product, I’m not sure why you think it’s only available on their website, I picked up my bottle locally at Princess Auto here in Canada, so you should be able to find it similarly, possibly at your version, Harbour Fright. 😉

In summary, I’d say that nearly any product that you can find that has the active ingredients to convert the oxidation process is going to be equally successful for ya. Not sure this helps at all, but it’s alls I gots.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor