Body Guys- Rust Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
From what Ive read ospho has to be reactivated and washed off with water if you let it dry and are gonna put epoxy over it. If you don't it can lead to adhesion issues. Plus it worked mediocre at best. I remember in rktpwrds thread he uses plasicote(623 i think) rust converter It dries purple. I couldn't find it anywhere after weeks of searching I bought ospho.

Actually it’s white in the bottle, goes on white, starts to turn purple as it begins to react with the metal, then turns a dark black after it converts the rust and dries.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
sh*t, late to the party as usual. Sorry Joe.

All I can offer is my experiences, I used the Plasikote product that you’ve seen me reference in my thread. I’m a bit hesitant to make any recommendations to absolutely use it or not simply because I don’t have any long term results to provide feedback on it. I can say though, the science and chemistry is sound, any product like it that will convert the active oxidation into an inert compound. I also can safely say that I had no reactivity issues using it underneath the epoxy and high build primers.

I’ve used RustMort in the past as well with satisfactory results, the only thing I don’t like about that product is that it needs to be rinsed with water following the initial application and conversion. Putting water on bare metal is not conducive to good results in my opinion, and kinda defeats the purpose.

Going back to the PlastiKote product, I’m not sure why you think it’s only available on their website, I picked up my bottle locally at Princess Auto here in Canada, so you should be able to find it similarly, possibly at your version, Harbour Fright. 😉

In summary, I’d say that nearly any product that you can find that has the active ingredients to convert the oxidation process is going to be equally successful for ya. Not sure this helps at all, but it’s alls I gots.

I appreciate the input Donovan. I'm also not a big fan of putting water on a bare metal surface either, but I usually don't get any flash rust, if I do I just hit it with a red scotchbrite or a DA very quickly before wax and grease remover. From what I gather, P Auto has a much wider range and selection of products than Horror Fraught. Nobody seems to carry Plastikote stuff locally that I know of (maybe someone local here might) and you can't seem to buy it on Amazon or eBay. I think I'm gonna stick to Rust Mort for now. This doesn't have to be beautiful, it is just a firewall, not a roof or a hood, but I think I'm gonna try to do it body color and I'd hate to have rust bubbling up under the paint in a year or two.

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I appreciate the input Donovan. I'm also not a big fan of putting water on a bare metal surface either, but I usually don't get any flash rust, if I do I just hit it with a red scotchbrite or a DA very quickly before wax and grease remover. From what I gather, P Auto has a much wider range and selection of products than Horror Fraught. Nobody seems to carry Plastikote stuff locally that I know of (maybe someone local here might) and you can't seem to buy it on Amazon or eBay. I think I'm gonna stick to Rust Mort for now. This doesn't have to be beautiful, it is just a firewall, not a roof or a hood, but I think I'm gonna try to do it body color and I'd hate to have rust bubbling up under the paint in a year or two.

To be honest, I think that’s probably your best bet if you can’t get the PlastiKote stuff or anything similar locally. Stick with what you know, and apply the KISS principle. I know this isn’t your first rodeo and you know what you’re doing, so I’m not concerned in the least that you’re not going to properly prep the surface after using the RustMort and rinsing it.

You know what needs to be done, you got this man!

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
To be honest, I think that’s probably your best bet if you can’t get the PlastiKote stuff or anything similar locally. Stick with what you know, and apply the KISS principle. I know this isn’t your first rodeo and you know what you’re doing, so I’m not concerned in the least that you’re not going to properly prep the surface after using the RustMort and rinsing it.

You know what needs to be done, you got this man!

Thanks for the vote of confidence! It's been several years now since I was doing this for a paycheck, so I've been second guessing myself a little. Technology moves so fast with this stuff, I want to make sure there isn't something better out there that I should be using instead.

Reactions: 1 users

86 Chevy El Camino SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2018
Va.
POR 15 is what I have used in the past and currently with great success. https://www.por15.com I have used it on the inside of bumpers to frame rails to engine saddles. The great thing is that is needs some rust to work so you don't have to get too crazy with cleaning it all off. Very happy with this product. It dries absolutely tough as nails. I'll see if I have some pics to post for you...
I concur,
I've used Por 15's paint and rust preventative product for years on my different rusted cars. Used correctly and with the metal ready primer, it will last forever
Never have had any issues since. Por 15 will encapsulate the areas that you have prepped, and it's self leveling, which means add a few coats, and the pitted rust holes will fill in and level out. Not the cheapest, but found it to be the most effective. You can see some of my past por 15 use here....
My vehicle restos...

So yeah....., it has worked well for me. I recently redid the Rally rims on my el camino with black epoxy paint, then a clear epoxy coat with the por 15 paints.

IMG_5722.JPG

Neill

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 7, 2014
Roanoke ,VA.
Back in the 70's we painted Navy ships and rusty military hangers with government red lead, which worked very well. Years ago I was wanting some for my Camino's rusty floorboards. Not feeling up to the intrigue of finding some or making it up , all I did was chip the heavy rust scale away, and give it a quick surface grind with a drill mounted sanding disk, followed by a wipe with a rag and thinner. While I did not expect results comparable to red lead, I took a leap of faith and bought a gallon of Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. The first full brush coat penetrated the surface rust, and the second full brush coat sealed the deal, by stopping oxygen absorption. The point is, no rust has reappeared after years of my doing this, and the paint looks as good as when applied, except for worn off areas, because I don't have carpets or mats. If I had top coated it with a compatible Rustoleum finish coat ,after the two primer coats, it would be even more impervious to re rusting , but I haven't even had to do this. I might, as it comes in assorted colors and sheens. It is important to wash all surfaces clean of salt deposits, and you must apply two full coats, with adequate drying time in between. I prefer brushing it on. I think two primer coats, alone, seal against rust better than one primer coat and a finish coat of enamel, which is the usual procedure.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I too have used the Plasticote and the Loctite product. I don't have a bunch of rust showing through after one year, a good sign. Pretty sure they are identical, look and smell the exact same. Use what works and is available.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Keep in mind that most rust converters will cause flash rust on clean metal as they are only meant for rusty metal.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor