Body panel interchan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trix Prix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2006
Body panel interchangability

Body panel interchangability. Alright here goes, looking for a aftermarket cowl hood for my 80 GP, any body make one? Harwood has them for malibu's, monte carlo, regals and cutlas's but no GP. Will any of these work.

Also I want to get rid of the crapy bumpers, Harwood makes some fiberglass smootihe bumpers for malibus, will these fit the GP?

Car is going to be all black with all of the chrome blacked out and draglites, ala GN style, should loook unique with the GP though.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Re: Body panel interchangability

With a GP you'll have to get use to nothing being manufactured to modify your GP. I have not seen any hoods that have any modifications that are made for the GP. I am going to cut and modify my own hood and I have already gotten rid of the chrome on the hood and the emblem. For the bumbers you might want to take a look at the front and rear bumber of the GP 2 + 2. There was also a GP GT built I think in 86 that was basicaly like a regular GP except for the paint scheme and duel pipes coming out behind the right rear wheel.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
You are stuck with a bolt on or custom job, which isn't the end of the world - I wanted a shaker hood and made it work 8)

laruen engineering makes some stuff for the GP, but not much.

FWIW, if you want a rear spoiler and 82-85 or so Firebird spoiler is a nice fit.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
85_SS said:
You are stuck with a bolt on or custom job, which isn't the end of the world - I wanted a shaker hood and made it work 8)

laruen engineering makes some stuff for the GP, but not much.

FWIW, if you want a rear spoiler and 82-85 or so Firebird spoiler is a nice fit.

thanks for that lauren tip....I never heard of them and they have some nice looking body mod parts. I'm thinking about that nose for the 2 +2 and the ground effects package.

here's the link to their site...

http://www.laureneng.com/index2.html

78lemans

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2006
Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Nobody makes a fiberglass or steel aftermarket hood for a GP, and no other aftermarket stuff (malibu, GN, etc) will fit. I'm in the same boat with my '78 Lemans. If I had a '78 Malibu, that'd be a different story. However, all is not lost, you can make some pretty cool mods on your own to your steel hood. Several companies offer 2"-4" cowl induction 'lumps' in both steel and fiberglass that you can either weld, rivet, or bolt to your existing hood. Then do some good bodywork and nobody will know the difference! Or if you have unlimited cash, I'm sure you could find a fiberglass shop somewhere that would mold up a one-off hood for you. Either way, good luck with your project.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Do you have a shaker scoop 85_SS? More pics and a heads-up on how you did it please.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor