GRAND PRIX Body Panel's

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Pardon? I don't understand the remark. I'm most concerned about the inner forward part of the door where you can put your hand in the hole. Are you saying you would be able to fix it up nicely?

Its looking more and more that I'm going to have to learn how to weld in panels.
what i meant by that was by re-skinning the doors when you repair the bottom of the shells you'll be ahead of the game in the sense that not only will you be starting with a fresh skin you'll also be able to perform a much better repair on the shell portion because you'll have full access to the back side of it all.rust is the worst thing ever(there's almost no "absolute" perfect solution long term) and personally if i was able to utilize a set of O.E door skins with this repair i would.they're few and way far between.

Reactions: 1 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
what i meant by that was by re-skinning the doors when you repair the bottom of the shells you'll be ahead of the game in the sense that not only will you be starting with a fresh skin you'll also be able to perform a much better repair on the shell portion because you'll have full access to the back side of it all.rust is the worst thing ever(there's almost no "absolute" perfect solution long term) and personally if i was able to utilize a set of O.E door skins with this repair i would.they're few and way far between.
makes sense. I was having trouble visualizing - never seen it done. Thanks for the explanation.

Reactions: 1 user

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
makes sense. I was having trouble visualizing - never seen it done. Thanks for the explanation.
This guy makes it look easy:

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I just went and looked at this Grand Prix. If I had a tree to sit it under I would have bought it for $1000 and parted it out. Frame was rotten behind the rear wheel where body mounts came out in my hand. Car is good for parts in my opinion. Naturally, it wasn't just a door that was rotten.

Last edited:

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Pontiac only for the majority of the parts on these cars, including the interior. That's hell to find usually. Took me 6 years for my LeMans. So yes The Ponchos are the b*st*rd child of the Early A & G-body cars to locate parts for. No aftermarket companies to my knowledge have stepped in to start reproducing parts. Ours are just spread few and thin.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor