Body to frame space/gap

Status
Not open for further replies.

twfurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2008
I am not sure if there is an answer to this question, but figure I will ask and see what I get. A few years ago I swapped the rotted frame out from under my 80 Malibu for one from an 87 MCSS. Two house moves later me and my daughter are diving back in and are going to install the body mounts this week. I am wondering is there a measurement for the gap between the pinch weld and side of the frame?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
There is no adjustment on that gap so no reason to measure it. The body bushings are specifically fabricated for the car and the body bolts are torqued to specs.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Also fwiw: if using all rubber mounts you're good to go, just don't mix a couple old and a couple new randomly spread around... the rubber compresses at different rates from age and the car 1) will sit funny and 2) due to all the body flex it will encourage further twisting and paint cracking at pillars.

If using poly bushings coating with graphite inside the bolt holes on the bushings will help a tiny bit with the squeeks... wont be as quiet as rubber, but better than without.

Poly front/rubber rear isn't a big deal, just need to do some gap adjusting to account for different compression rates.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
I am not sure if there is an answer to this question, but figure I will ask and see what I get. A few years ago I swapped the rotted frame out from under my 80 Malibu for one from an 87 MCSS. Two house moves later me and my daughter are diving back in and are going to install the body mounts this week. I am wondering is there a measurement for the gap between the pinch weld and side of the frame?
Here is a time saving tip: There are alignment holes at the passenger rear and driver front that go through the frame into the body. As you lower the car back onto the frame, you place a short length of 1/2" rod through the alignment holes. This guides the body perfectly onto the frame so that all frame holes line up with body side captured nuts. Pictures in this thread show what I'm talking about:

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/88-monte-carlo-ss-w-ly6-6-0-swap.64246/

Reactions: 2 users

twfurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2008
Thanks for the tip on the alignment holes. I can locate the rear hole, but the front was lost when I patched some rot around the front mount location years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor