bracing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
i see peeps on here have an X bracing on the front of the radiator my car didnt come stock with those so whats the reason for them..?

Supposedly for added strength for the front end.
I had a set and removed them and noticed absolutely nothing which I had allready figured the core support was plenty strong enough.
Frame is where more strength shows itself and is needed.

NY87SS said:
I had a set and removed them and noticed absolutely nothing which I had allready figured the core support was plenty strong enough.

Under hard cornering they do help . Would you notice >> NO . Not that they do that much tho. They G body platform has way to much flex . And any little part/brace can help .

MR442 said:
NY87SS said:

Under hard cornering they do help . Would you notice >> NO . Not that they do that much tho. They G body platform has way to much flex . And any little part/brace can help .

i think the reason why you wouldnt notice is because those braces are just thin solid bars, 3/8" or 5/16" arent they?

doesnt mean i'm removing mine though. lol i have just about every factory brace on my car and i'm not about to take one off to see if it really makes a difference or not. they're on, they're staying on and even if the x brace in the radiator support does little or nothing it doesnt hurt anything. though i dont think they're worth crawling through mud to get them off a car in a boneyard either.

the brace connecting the front frame ends and the jounce bars does a lot more for the front end anyway. those are the ones i think are mandatory.

Well I had my front end apart to paint the car and looked at those and laughed, so I removed the AC cooling condenser and those since they were very flimsy and never regreted it.
I did after add on the front cross brace to beef up the F41 front braces and on my T-topped car they did make the front end feel stiffer. Then we added a bridge like most S10's use for air bag for my rear springs so later we can bag it as per my kids request and that really stiffened it up.
So over this winter, new front tubular a-arms and bagged all 4 corners for a controllable ride height which is much need here up north. If you static lower around here there are many bumps and potholes which will make you regret the change and I won't have to worry!!

NY87SS, some of your thoughts are wrong.

The body is more of a structural member then the frame. I have proved this by measuring a number of frames and bodys for flex while doing numerous body off restorations/cage work (A-body , G-body and subframe F-body).

GM is not in on the front end the habit of designing, testing and installing parts on a car just for the heck of it!

Don't let the size of the braces throw you off , they work.

Even fender to rad wire ones work but the only work in one direction.

Think of a pick up truck tailgate that is down, it is easy to lift and close but you can put 500# on it and it will not move. The wires one do the same thing and remember if one side is trying to compress the other side is most likely trying to extend.

Know pull them off and install the tubular ones. They work "both ways", compression/extension , you could not lift the tailgate now.

The X brace on the support works kinda the same way. I have a factory set made of aluminum , grab each end and try and pull it apart, not happening.

It's not the size of the brace, it's the fact that it is there is 95% of the battle.

Stud out a 8' x 20' foot wall, it will flop all over. Add a tiny 1"x3" piece of scrap at a 45 degree angle and bam, solid as a rock.

Those X braces are the last piece of bracing I'm putting on my car. I have all three braces for the front including the gran prix brace and trust me it makes a helluva difference. I'm adding the X braces because I'm putting in the aluminum core support which should have a little more flex in it than say a steel core support.

IMO bracing, if available, should always be used because it makes a difference in eliminating body roll and better handling. I love drag racing as much as the next guy but you won't notice the effect of the bracing as much. Wait till you go onto a snake road or do autocross and your taking a turn at 40-60mph :shock: then you will really notice the effects of the braces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor