Homemade Bracing

The tail sections of the frame that are behind the spring pocket are flimsy and they can use all of the help you can give them. I made one like Abbey described several times - they definitely help.

About every aftermarket support available works and is not a waste of money if you have any plan to stiffen the car. The rear seat brace and rear spring tower supports are definitely a good product as well.

If you intend to do any racing, then the weld supports in the rear upper a-arm mounts are a must as well. And the links that attach the lower and upper mount bolts together help too. I just finished reinstalling my rear and I haven’t bent anything too severely yet lol - I have all of the rear bracing that can be purchased and I put the wood to back end more than most that don’t have a full tube chassis.

Attachments

• IMG_2985.jpeg
    IMG_2985.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: 5 users
The tail sections of the frame that are behind the spring pocket are flimsy and they can use all of the help you can give them. I made one like Abbey described several times - they definitely help.

About every aftermarket support available works and is not a waste of money if you have any plan to stiffen the car. The rear seat brace and rear spring tower supports are definitely a good product as well.

If you intend to do any racing, then the weld supports in the rear upper a-arm mounts are a must as well. And the links that attach the lower and upper mount bolts together help too. I just finished reinstalling my rear and I haven’t bent anything too severely yet lol - I have all of the rear bracing that can be purchased and I put the wood to back end more than most that don’t have a full tube chassis.
Well, I'm building my car for autocross so hopefully I won't have any issues from too much power

Reactions: 1 users
Well, I'm building my car for autocross so hopefully I won't have any issues from too much power
I made my own rear seat cross bracing. I do have the factory stampings from another car that I plan to trim and install to look like the factory stamped brace.

Attachments

• Braces.jpg
    Braces.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 3
  • BodyCrossBrace1.JPG
    BodyCrossBrace1.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: 2 users
I made my own rear seat cross bracing. I do have the factory stampings from another car that I plan to trim and install to look like the factory stamped brace.
That looks really good but I have an El Camino

I made my own rear frame brace, aka 'Jeff bar", out ofvsquare tubing. I drilled 3 holes instead of the usually two to prevent rotation on the side that has two bumper mount bolt holes on the bottom.

This topic has caused flaming on some forums regarding G bodies. Some guys oddly really hate add on bracing.

Reactions: 3 users

can't argue with a man that carries the wheels on the regular

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I made all of the braces on my Monte and the fender to core support, GP bar and rear brace for the Regal.
The fender to core support braces I used 3/4" EMT and made a crimper for my press to make a nice end on it.
The jounce and GP bars I made out of Rigid 3/4" EMT which is about twice as thick as the factory bars and I bent those in my HF tubing bender and also crimped the ends.
And for the rear bars I used 1-3/4" roll bar tubing with my Monte's being welded in and my Regal's I made as a bolt in.View attachment 243979

Very nice job on crimping the ends. That detail make them look like a manufactured product. I think most would just squash the ends flat in press or vice and call it a day.

May I ask how you made the dies?

• Agree
Get the beefiest sway bars that you can find - the stock dinky ones won't cut it. Also a proper alignment with the correct sized tires will make a night and day difference. Plenty of of camber and 1.5-3 degres of pinion angle will help a ton for cornering and traction.

What tires are you running?

Get the beefiest sway bars that you can find - the stock dinky ones won't cut it. Also a proper alignment with the correct sized tires will make a night and day difference. Plenty of of camber and 1.5-3 degres of pinion angle will help a ton for cornering and traction.

What tires are you running?
I'm running Nitto 555s. 245/35/17 front and 275/40/17 rear.

So far, the biggest front bar I can find is the Belltech. But my next major mod is gonna be coilovers. The front is sitting about an inch higher than the rear, since I'm running an aluminum block ls1 on stock springs.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor