Homemade Bracing

I'm running Nitto 555s. 245/35/17 front and 275/40/17 rear.

So far, the biggest front bar I can find is the Belltech. But my next major mod is gonna be coilovers. The front is sitting about an inch higher than the rear, since I'm running an aluminum block ls1 on stock springs.
I suggest the upper lower link frame brace from trick chassis. Huge difference on how the rear handles.
I'm running 4, 275/40/17 on 17*9 5" back spacing on my wagon. Wish I made the jump to 18" substantially more tire options I have almost full UMI stuff on the front

Attachments

• IMG_20240713_093814740.jpg
    IMG_20240713_093814740.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 3
Reactions: 5 users
Dropping the height with coil overs will require a realignment. But dropping it with drop spindles won't.

Sounds kinda stupid, but worn out front springs with a DA front shock will give you the ride height you want and the response you'll want. Most everyone seems to put new springs all around, and they always raise the ride height for several reasons, but the end result is the same - increased ride height.

I have a very decent front end setup due to a member here giving me a bunch of parts that he no longer needed (I'm very fortunate and appreciative.) A double adjustable shock will give you the same response as a coil over - I've had good luck and like the Vikings I have presently. But coil overs on all 4 corners is definitely a better option if you have the jing to give up for them. If you go with a front coil over, then weigh the car to see what spring you need on the coil overs. You will be able to find springs from 150 to 550 spring rate, and they are vastly different. I don't know much about a handling spec, but a straight line racing spring of 250-350 is plenty if you're carrying 1800-2000lbs on the front. But for road racing / cornering I have no idea what would be best.

Reactions: 2 users
I appreciate the help. I'm actually planning on going with Vikings. Specifically, the UMI package. But it's gonna be awhile since I'm poor at the moment.

Reactions: 2 users
From an engineering stand point. A bar beside the rear bumper does not add any additional support. The flimsy frame is only flimsy with no body and bumper attached to it. Also the 2 rear sections sticking out past the rear suspension do not need to be strong. I'm meaning bracing might add strength there if you are using a bumper jack.

If you are trying to stabilize the frame that is sticking out. It needs diagonal bracing, just like the under the hood and diagonals that go from front crossmember to front bumper.

Not trying to stop anyone from adding bracing but since most of us are building some type of performance car. Weight is also a penalty.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor