Brake conversion???

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
'98-'02 Camaro brakes up front on my '83 El Camino. Brakes in the back are stock except I'm using S10 wheel cylinders. Also using the stock proportioning valve. If you are going disc on the rear you will need to change the stock proportioning valve out for a disc/disc one.

Master is a Centric 13062036 for a Riviera/Toronado. Booster is a Cardone 54-71040 for a Caprice.
It all works together perfectly. Brakes couldn't feel any better.

Details:
https://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?p=2479290#post2479290\

IMG_0952.JPG
What is the min rim dia you can run with this setup?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Some factory aluminum 15" fit on the 98-02 fronts work also. Monte SS, Regal T wheels, Very light trimming of the cooling ribs is needed. I have test fit my T wheels on my car. Pic below shows the cooling ribs barely touching, i could rotate the wheel like 1/4 turn until the slight runout stopped it, 2 minutes with a flap wheel on a grinder and they would clear. They are fully bolted on in this pic.

I actually run pontiac 15x4" ralleys on the front of my GP with the F body brakes with a 1.5" spacer, not because the hoop doesnt clear but because the caliper hits the rim center face.

Thousands of F body guys run 15" front runners on the front of their cars with light caliper clearancing.

Few steel wheels fit however because they were designed around 14" wheel centers and just got larger "hoops" to adopt to 15" tires. Pontiacs are the only ones you can get away with.

1564373355229.png

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
Some factory aluminum 15" fit on the 98-02 fronts work also. Monte SS, Regal T wheels, Very light trimming of the cooling ribs is needed. I have test fit my T wheels on my car. Pic below shows the cooling ribs barely touching, i could rotate the wheel like 1/4 turn until the slight runout stopped it, 2 minutes with a flap wheel on a grinder and they would clear. They are fully bolted on in this pic.

I actually run pontiac 15x4" ralleys on the front of my GP with the F body brakes with a 1.5" spacer, not because the hoop doesnt clear but because the caliper hits the rim center face.

Thousands of F body guys run 15" front runners on the front of their cars with light caliper clearancing.

Few steel wheels fit however because they were designed around 14" wheel centers and just got larger "hoops" to adopt to 15" tires. Pontiacs are the only ones you can get away with.

View attachment 119477
I was hoping to run SSIII wheels

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
16" minimum for '98-'02 Camaro front brakes. 17" minimum for C5/C6 Corvette brakes.

16X8 GTA wheels on my El Camino:
IMG_1152.JPG
I saw those wheels offered in gold, I’m considering them for my black Elco. Are any mods needed to fit those with the F body brakes? As said the brakes widen the stance.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I was hoping to run SSIII wheels

Nope, won't fit.

Olds wheel centers are 12.5", pontiac are 13.25. That .75" makes the difference. Olds wheels are built around a 14" wheel center.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I saw those wheels offered in gold, I’m considering them for my black Elco. Are any mods needed to fit those with the F body brakes? As said the brakes widen the stance.
I think the gold 16" GTA wheels would look superb on a black Elco. The GTA wheels need a very thin spacer to clear the LS1 calipers. I bought a set of '82--92 Fbody rear spacers on ebay for $26. They are only .118 thick.

s-l16003.jpg

The total setup moves the wheels out .447 on each side. That's just a smidge over 7/16". I experienced zero repercussions with that. I'm using stock control arms, stock coil springs and have zero clearance issues with 225/55R-16 front tires.

Here's my total list for the front brake install:

LS1_Brake_list.jpg

See my detailed explanation of the brake install here:
https://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?p=2471732#post2471732
Also see my entire project thread. The link is in my signature.

IMG_03641.JPG

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I don't have one but it should be easy to find and maybe someone else will chime in to help you with that question.

But frankly, I don't think it's necessary to change out the rear brakes on an Elco. They are light on the rear and the stock drum brakes back there work fine. Upgrading to the S10 wheel cylinders give a little more braking force than the stock cylinders and luckily ended up being a great match to all the other changes I made. I wouldn't change a thing if I had to do it over except for the fact that I should have taken my original rotor/hubs to a machine shop instead of buying the machined hubs on ebay. The guy I bought them from didn't check for warpage after machining off the rotors. They were warped and I had to take them to a machine shop and pay to have them turned to correct that.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
When I did the conversion on my GP I used a prop valve from a 84 Cadillac Eldorado and it worked perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor