Brake Light Switch Retainer

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm installing a new brake light switch. The switch is held in by a stamped steel retaining nut/ring that appears to snap into the bracket that holds the switch. The logical thing to do would be to unscrew the switch from the retainer, but my cruise switch is right above it & there isn't room to spin the brake light switch. Is there another way to get the switch out that I'm not seeing?

And what about putting the new switch in? Same deal - is there a right way to put it in?

Thanks...

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
I'm installing a new brake light switch. The switch is held in by a stamped steel retaining nut/ring that appears to snap into the bracket that holds the switch. The logical thing to do would be to unscrew the switch from the retainer, but my cruise switch is right above it & there isn't room to spin the brake light switch. Is there another way to get the switch out that I'm not seeing?

And what about putting the new switch in? Same deal - is there a right way to put it in?

Thanks...
What year G Body.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
You should be able to pull the switch straight out, no need to thread it. Will take some effort. Install is the same just push it into the spring nut.

Brakes PG012.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
What he said. Push n' pull.

They have "fingers" on the clips holding the switch ridges. Look like this:

1700136737925.png

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Unless you're gronking on it, there should be no way those metal clips should be damaged enough to need replacing. Sounds more like just wanting to replace the stop switch. A good yank straight out should remove it.

Reactions: 1 users

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you all. a couple of months ago I tried pulling a switch out of a junkyard car & it mangled the clip so I didn't want to do that to my good one.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That clip sucks. I ended up putting nuts onto the switch to keep it from moving and engaging the brake lights.

Reactions: 1 user

yennchi45

Apprentice
Nov 12, 2014
South Carolina
What size nuts?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor