brake lines (tubing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbcCuttY

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
I need new brake lines for my 1985 cutlass from master cylinder to the back and front calipers. Does anyone sell reproduction kits ...or about how much would a repair shop charge me..thanks for the help

78 salon

Greasemonkey
May 3, 2009
Brookfield, Ill
If you're doing this yourself, you can get straight lengths of brake line from about any parts store. Buy a tubing cutter and a double flare kit for around$30.00, knock it out yourself. If you're doing a frame off, go to www.classictube.com , they've got everything you need. Either in steel or stainless.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I used Fine Lines Inc. for my front stainless lines: http://www.finelinesinc.com/

They sent the wrong MC lines but were easy to deal with. Sent out a correct set right away free of charge.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
I'm replacing all my brake and fuel lines on my car. Outside, with the body on the frame. Why bring up this info? I, too, thought about buying a pre-bent kit for both. I decided to buy the straight tubing and do it all myself. I'm glad I saved my money.

As was mentioned, if you're doing a frame off, by all means get the kit. If you're not, then getting to all the line clamps retaining the lines to the frame will be next to impossible in some areas. Even if you do get the clamps out, then you'll have to figure out how to twist and contort the lines to get them back in between the body and frame.

I'll just run mine as close to factory and use as many retainers as I can. In areas where I can't get them in, I'll route them the best way I can.

I'm building a driver, not a show car. If you insist on running them *just like the factory did*, good luck. Mines not done yet so you can do mine when you get done... :wink:

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
even better than the straight tubing, you can get a coil of brake line. just as good, but easier to bend and easier to store.
just in case you decide to go with stainless steel, be warned that it's extremely hard to flare. buy or borrow a hydraulic flaring kit. they're worth having even on regular tubing, especially when bending the line on the car. mine is probably my favorite tool, i know it's my brothers!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I also make my own. Cheaper and way easier than trying to get those insane bends around the body and frame. Remember the factory did it with the body off, impossible with it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor