EL CAMINO Brake upgrade question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
A home made system using the factory cables from the Camaro due to its ends. Original cable bracket cut and bent to fit using the drv seatbelt bolt as the attaching point. Work great. the cables ends are from all star performance. Have to use the brackets to move the shocks out at the bottom they will hit the calipers and won't bolt into place. I used a tube spacer cut to size to install the yellow bounce pads that are from a GMC Pickup. Th e-brake holder is from the camaro system that I cut to fit the SS housing and it bolts to the original bounce slot thru the tubing holding the yellow bounce cup all in place. It worked out perfect as to fit and functions to prevent the calipers from hitting the frame. Also the e-brake cables have to be secured to the tunnel with clamps or they will hit the drive shaft. I cut everything, put in place and tehn tookk out to paint and detail, then final install. View attachment 160930 View attachment 160931 View attachment 160929 at.

thanks, I', looking to see what I'm going to use for the rear brake conversion. I was planning to use the Seville brakes but I like the look of the set up you have. I already have the F body handbrake that is very similar except the handle mechanism adjusts the cable. It looks like the rear cables would need to be changed cause currently the F body cables fit the drum brakes on my 8.2" rear.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I had the Seville calipers, could never get the e-brakes to work as they operate the clamping of the rotor by ratcheting the piston. I don't recommend buying that system. Some do but I haven't found anyone that has used the e-brake setup on it. I couldn't make it work. What I like about the Camaro system is that the e-brake is mechanically separate from the caliper with its own circular shoe and it only needs very little pull to fully lock the wheel.

Attachments

• EmergencyBrake2.jpg
    EmergencyBrake2.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: 2 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I had the Seville calipers, could never get the e-brakes to work as they operate the clamping of the rotor by ratcheting the piston. I don't recommend buying that system. Some do but I haven't found anyone that has used the e-brake setup on it. I couldn't make it work. What I like about the Camaro system is that the e-brake is mechanically separate from the caliper with its own circular shoe and it only needs very little pull to fully lock the wheel.
If you get the Camaro stuff, it has all you need so there is not hunting for bolts to secure the backing plates to the rear end housing, e-brake brackets to chase down or fabricate. I forgot to say, I spent 322.08 in parts in the conversion including the 125 a complete Camaro rear end to get all the brackets, cables etc. Bought new: AC Delco Rotors, Pads, E-Brake Kit, Caliper rebuild kit, and Rear Lube. Diff Cover Gasket, Axle Tube Seals, Even the Rubber Boots for the e-brake Cable Lever. For the front S10 conversion: S10 (Blazer 2 wheel drive spindles with brake system complete as they would not sell mem just the spindles with calipers/caliper mounting brackets so I ended up throwing away the rotors/dust shields. AC Delco Rotors, pads, caliper rebuild kits and dust shields 341.28 ($663.36 total cost for parts front & rear) I probably spent the 700 for shop stock stuff (spray paint, cleaning solvents, clean etc etc.) Could be done cheaper if you get non GM parts. I' am GM/AC Delco guy even though most parts came in boxes Made in Mexico, China, India and Portugal! .

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor