Brandywine paint code

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
The El Camino had a 2K Nason (Axalta offshoot) red oxide primer followed by a black sealer. The paint was DuPont Croma base which used 2 full coats followed be 3 coats of clear. Did all work myself but was over 10 years ago.
The Monte SS is still in the planning stage, My 79 Monte Carlo has not seen road service in a few years so that will come first.
Ok I'll have to talk it over with my dad. We might enough gloss black left over from the 83 to use as a base coat on this one. Thanks for the info.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
This is the best paint and bodywork site I have seen. The guys were very helpful when I was painting my car and they tell it like it is

https://www.autobody101.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=5
Thanks I'll have to check em out. I'm really hoping my dad goes for the dark cherry. He immediately ruled out the pearl white I wanted because he said it's a b*tch to paint match and touch up. I can understand him there I suppose.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Dark Cherry is also my top color choice for my Regal when I get that far, but I have plenty of time to change my mind.

Reactions: 1 user

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Im gonna have to hit up the local paint shop. I just want the deepest, darkest metallic red/maroon I can find that will still look good with the factory maroon colored interior.

Maybe the maroon they painted these cars but with less purple...is it as simple as telling them I want that color but less purple? Like I said im brain dead when it comes to paint!

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Im gonna have to hit up the local paint shop. I just want the deepest, darkest metallic red/maroon I can find that will still look good with the factory maroon colored interior.

Maybe the maroon they painted these cars but with less purple...is it as simple as telling them I want that color but less purple? Like I said im brain dead when it comes to paint!
I have a good working relationship with the local auto paint supplier. We have purchased paint and supplies from these guys for over 30 years. They understand we (Dad, younger brother, myself) are just hobbyists and not doing paint jobs as a business. The El Camino was the 6th car we painted but, only the 2nd that was not 99A Black DuPont Centari and the first base/clear paint job.
When I explained the colors I wanted on the El Camino, Black Cherry Red over Dark Slate Gray. Being patient, humble and catching them during the less busy times of the day went a long way to getting the Black Cherry Red in the proper hue I was looking for.
Take a sample of your interior color, explain what you want, go back at a later time if they are busy, they should be able to find what you are looking for.
I also learned the advise they offer for free...9 out of 10 times will net positive results!

On another note I miss spelled the paint base in a previous posting... it is Chroma base.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio

I have a good working relationship with the local auto paint supplier. We have purchased paint and supplies from these guys for over 30 years. They understand we (Dad, younger brother, myself) are just hobbyists and not doing paint jobs as a business. The El Camino was the 6th car we painted but, only the 2nd that was not 99A Black DuPont Centari and the first base/clear paint job.
When I explained the colors I wanted on the El Camino, Black Cherry Red over Dark Slate Gray. Being patient, humble and catching them during the less busy times of the day went a long way to getting the Black Cherry Red in the proper hue I was looking for.
Take a sample of your interior color, explain what you want, go back at a later time if they are busy, they should be able to find what you are looking for.
I also learned the advise they offer for free...9 out of 10 times will net positive results!

On another note I miss spelled the paint base in a previous posting... it is Chroma base.
Chroma base is actually what I used on my 83. I'm gonna do some digging and contact the local paint shop. Thanks for the help

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
If there is an automotive paint shop around you, they usually have color chips with multiple shades of your specific color. I looked at my local store last week for a medium shade of red pearl. The sample cards were about 1"x3" and it was just reds, maroons, etc. I bet there were at least 60-80 chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor