Brougham vs. Salon vs. Calais

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliCuttie

Apprentice
Jun 10, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Hi, I'm pretty new to the world of Cutties. Trying to research on what I would love to be my first car, a Cutlass Supreme from 81-87. Throughout my search I have come across three different types of Supreme from that era, Brougham, Salon, and Calais. As far as I know its basically the same, but I'm sure I'm wrong. Can somebody break down the three for me, what makes them different? Thanks a bunch!!!!!!

- A Cutlass noob
😀

The cutlass salon started as a trim level in the 70's for the colonnade and later became the fugly notchback no one liked:
1978cutlasssalonfastbk0807.jpg

It was available in 2 door or :puke: four door, and also 442 form

The brougham is the top trim level of the supreme that you know. But by the mid/late eighties there wasn't really a defining line between them. They might have different wheels, seats, radio, and a few extra goodies.

The cutlass calais was also a trim level above the supreme, lower than the brougham.

In 1985 olds removed the 'cutlass calais' trim level and gave the calais name to it's new small car, in 1988 it was renamed 'Cutlass Calais'.
85olds.jpg

It was first available in 2 door, then 4 door form. A high output quad four was offered, and olds' FE3 suspension

custom442 said:
The cutlass salon started as a trim level in the 70's for the colonnade and later became the fugly notchback no one liked:
1978cutlasssalonfastbk0807.jpg

It was available in 2 door or :puke: four door, and also 442 form

The brougham is the top trim level of the supreme that you know. But by the mid/late eighties there wasn't really a defining line between them. They might have different wheels, seats, radio, and a few extra goodies.

The cutlass calais was also a trim level above the supreme, lower than the brougham.

In 1985 olds removed the 'cutlass calais' trim level and gave the calais name to it's new small car, in 1988 it was renamed 'Cutlass Calais'.
85olds.jpg

It was first available in 2 door, then 4 door form. A high output quad four was offered, and olds' FE3 suspension
Hey, this particular "buttless" is in my garage right now! Stripped to bare metal, nose is off, getting ready to pull the 260 and detail out the frame. Nice car to use as an example, thanks. 8) What's unusual about this car is that it's a salon, which usually came with buckets and console. This car is a bench seat version.

I used to have a 87 cutlass brougham. What a great car that was. The seats were freaking the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in.
Other than the column shift, i wouldn't have changed anything else in that car.
Well other than the fact the wheel fell off doing 60mph down the highway and taking the quarter pannel with it. lol that sucked!

I believe the fastback pictured above is the first one I've ever seen in any Cutlass. My Salon looks nothing like it. As I am in Canada I suspect it might be a USA only thing.

I had an '82 Calais which was the same body style of a Supreme or Brougham, but it had the same tail lights and reverse lights as the '84 hurst olds. Also came with the Rallye Pack gauges, black dash, buckets & console and the best part was the 267 under the hood. :blam:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor