Bucket seats floor shifter conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luisram

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 16, 2016
Long island
So I really like the look of bucket seats with a floor shifter. I want to do a conversion. Once I get a steering column for the the car how difficult is it to convert the transmission linkage to accommodate a floor shifter. I believe I saw a lokar kit on eBay.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
So I really like the look of bucket seats with a floor shifter. I want to do a conversion. Once I get a steering column for the the car how difficult is it to convert the transmission linkage to accommodate a floor shifter. I believe I saw a lokar kit on eBay.

Fairly easy.

You don't remove the original linkage - it attaches to the floor shift column in the exact same place.

What you do is add a bracket on the side of the trans, drill a hole in the floor for the cable to pass through, install a grommet/cable in the hole, and hook one end of cabLe to that bracket with the other going to the new floor shifter

When shifting from floor the leverless column collar still rotates.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Boy do I wish I'd asked this question months ago. The reply would have saved me time, money, and aggravation. If you go with Lokar, talk to them first, not some store sales person. I tried 3 different Lokars before I had to modify the last one to work. Just because it fits your trans, doesn't mean its the one for your car.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
So don't mean to sound clueless.but I don't have to change my steering column ?
No, not at all. The column remains the same. As CK mentioned, you add a bracket to the trans to accommodate the shift cable. Then add a linkage arm to the existing shift arm/ pivot. It's pretty easy. I'm sure there's some pics on the site somewhere showing you what it looks like.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
So don't mean to sound clueless.but I don't have to change my steering column ?
In fact, if you don't mind the appearance being off, you could remove that large chrome shift arm off the existing column. You'd have the little tabs on the collar and the hole where the lever arm entered, but, aside from that you could actually just USE the column shift column.

The only real difference between the factory floor shift column and the column shifted one is the presence or absence of that shifter arm. On the floor shift ones you get a nice smooth ring, but if you watch, it actually MOVES when you use the floor shifter. (There are guys who have broken their floor shift cable and/or bracket who shifted their cars by holding that ring and turning it while awaiting repairs. Takes a Lil strength but doable)

The process to change that ring of trim over is too involved and requires too much disassembly to be worth it. But removing the shift lever off a column shifted column... takes minutes. You just have that ugly bump and hole left behind is all...

• Agree

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
I got a pretty good deal on a hurst rachet shifter.Will it work without the stock linkage? I might be wrong but I don't remember any linkage on my 84'Hurst with lightning rods.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I got a pretty good deal on a hurst rachet shifter.Will it work without the stock linkage? I might be wrong but I don't remember any linkage on my 84'Hurst with lightning rods.
I had used a Hurst ratchet shifter in my car formerly. I didn't use the extra add-on lever in this case. I locked the column in the park position and used the cable directly to the shift lever arm. To be able to use the neutral safety switch and backup lights, I had to splice into the neutral safety lead and the backup light circuit. The shifter uses two micro switches that are individually wired inline to each circuit. I have since gone back with a stock factory floor shift using the column wired neutral switch and backup functions.
To answer your question...yes, the Hurst shifter will work with the stock linkage.

• Agree

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Been looking for a console column...just missed one on realoldspower out of a 86'442 for $55.It was blue but could paint it.
That would have been an excellent score. Repainting it is the least of your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor