1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget suspension upgrades 78 El Camino

Discussion in 'Chassis / Drivetrain / Suspension / Wheels' started by MN.cruiser, Aug 12, 2017.

1. MN.cruiser

MN.cruiser Not-quite-so-new-guy

Hello!

My dad and I got our 78 elky back on the road a few months ago with a newer 350 SBC (about 375 HP) and a rebuilt manual 4 speed. The car runs and drives great, but upgrading the worn out stock suspension is becoming a higher priority. We are thinking shocks, springs, and bushings. I'll be keeping an eye out for a used Monte Carlo SS sway bar too. This is a street car/driver, but I definitely want it stiffer than stock. We have installed 17's (not sure on tire size), and the car was originally a v6, so were sitting a little lower than stock I think. I like the current height. What springs and shocks should I get?

Like I said, budget is a factor, but I want something that is stiffer than stock. All advice is appreciated! thanks!

Attached Files:

2. MN.cruiser

Also, I am planning on doing the GMC Jimmy spindle/brake swap in the future.

3. Skitter302

Skitter302 Apprentice

I have had great luck with these in my g-body. http://tinyurl.com/orelshocks

these are for the rear and will help with load balance and can make up for rear springs that are soft and let the rear of the car squat.

4. MN.cruiser

thanks! What are you using on the front?

5. Skitter302

Skitter302 Apprentice

Monroe Shock ( _LINK_ ) I used these shocks but removed the spring off the shock body. To remove the spring compress it and remove the bottom retaining clip. Or if you want you can keep the spring and cut bottom 1.5" off.