Budget suspension upgrades 78 El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

MN.cruiser

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2017
Hello!

My dad and I got our 78 elky back on the road a few months ago with a newer 350 SBC (about 375 HP) and a rebuilt manual 4 speed. The car runs and drives great, but upgrading the worn out stock suspension is becoming a higher priority. We are thinking shocks, springs, and bushings. I'll be keeping an eye out for a used Monte Carlo SS sway bar too. This is a street car/driver, but I definitely want it stiffer than stock. We have installed 17's (not sure on tire size), and the car was originally a v6, so were sitting a little lower than stock I think. I like the current height. What springs and shocks should I get?

Like I said, budget is a factor, but I want something that is stiffer than stock. All advice is appreciated! thanks!

Attachments

• el camino new wheels.jpg
    el camino new wheels.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 1,856

Skitter302

Apprentice
Jan 20, 2014
USA, WA
I have had great luck with these in my g-body. http://tinyurl.com/orelshocks

these are for the rear and will help with load balance and can make up for rear springs that are soft and let the rear of the car squat.

Skitter302

Apprentice
Jan 20, 2014
USA, WA
Monroe Shock ( _LINK_ ) I used these shocks but removed the spring off the shock body. To remove the spring compress it and remove the bottom retaining clip. Or if you want you can keep the spring and cut bottom 1.5" off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor