Buick Encore vs. Chevy Trax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I think I'd go with a malibu wagon or a Chevy blazer. Turning the key in your daily driver don't need to feal like it's killing you little inside but that's just me

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
All:

I've been kicking around all sorts of options for a new daily driver, and if I go the brand-new route: I have my options narrowed-down to a Buick Encore and a Chevy Trax. Is anyone on here currently leasing (or purchased?) one of the two; or both (Lol)? Thoughts? Things you like, don't like, etc.? Thanks, in-advance!

As a current Buick owner I can say that Buick makes a reliable car but the problem I have with Buick's latest offerings is their lack of attention to detail. Just look at the map pockets in the el cheapo door panels and other cheap milk jug polypropylene interior plastics. From an appearance standpoint the Chevy Traverse is the winner in my book but the interior is still lacking. The Encore looks too small and unsafe to me, not to mention awkward. My next SUV purchase will likely be a Lincoln Nautilus (formerly MKX). Working closely with Ford over the years I've been impressed with their engineering team. I was responsible for portions of the Lincoln Continental interior and on that program they spent a lot of money and effort getting every last detail right. I've never been a Ford guy but that is about to change. If you're stuck on those two GM vehicles though I would go for the Buick. You won't regret having the extra options and sound deadening.

New_19Lincoln-Nautilus_19_HR-286337.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
This sounds like the GM from the early 2000s
Their new cars are just as good as everyone else has.

That's debatable. I personally disagree but I don't want to highjack the op's questions with my anti GM sentiments.

Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Since 1994 I've bought 5 new Chevy s and 1 Pontiac. Not 1 of them ever went back to the dealer (or any garage ) other than for free oil changes and state inspections. I'll stick with GM no matter what anybody says.

• Agree

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Since 1994 I've bought 5 new Chevy s and 1 Pontiac. Not 1 of them ever went back to the dealer (or any garage ) other than for free oil changes and state inspections. I'll stick with GM no matter what anybody says.
You're lucky or don't put many miles on....

• Disagree

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I can't comment on those two vehicles.

HOWEVER

When purchasing our last two new vehicles, I compared/drove similar class offerings by pretty much every other car maker.

In my case, the most VALUE as measured by the options in the car at each equal price point, with materials quality factored in, made me ditch gm and go with a ford.

Then I just picked our timing for the best discounts and rebates, added our costco member pricing, then picked which costco sponsored dealer by asking who would throw in a bonus extended factory backed warranty.

Our last car was 2016, so things may have changed. But seriously, I'd advise look around. Brand reputations of a couple years ago don't represent what's being built today...

• Agree

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Nearly EVERY mid size SUV GM built with a 3.6L from '07 to '09 needed a $3,500 Transmission fix due to a faulty part. I got mine done for free in my '08 Vue (It was 600 miles out of warranty), but I know people with Acadias and Outlooks that were not as lucky.

2018 GM is pretty good. 2006-2013 GM, not so much.

• Agree

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
I can comment on this. I own a 2013 Encore so a few years old now. I looked at both the Encore and the Trax. To me the Trax just looked, felt, and drove cheap, quick frankly I hated it... The Buick just looks nicer inside and out and drove much smoother. I went with the leather interior so I could get the heated seat option. My has all the bells and whistles that were available at the time. My wife absolutely loves the vehicle and especially the ease of parking and good vision. Mine is also the AWD version. We average 27mpg with city/highway driving. Now as far a space it is not a big SUV so do not expect to carry around a family or the sports equipment for a team. The trunk space is adequate for every day use and grocery shopping. Rear seat space can handle two adults if the front seats are moved forward and not for long distances, but for small kids probably ok. I am 6'6 and one of the selling points of this vehicle was when I sat in it I could set the seat back far enough and be very comfortable to drive. I have driven 18hrs straight in this car and not gotten cramped. The center console is narrow and there is only one arm rest on driver seat not passenger. This is not an issue for my wife and I, but storage in center is limited. This car has had zero issues and has handled exceptionally well in all weather conditions. The only "issue" I can say is the way the rear seat folds down is not as refined as I would have liked.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I didn't know anybody still purchased new GM vechicals if they wanted reliable transportation. That's not a wisecrack. The General just doesn't make good cars compared to many other makes.

I disagree.. Our last family GM vehicle had 285k miles when we traded it in. The current family GM vehicle (GMC) is at 130k miles and still going strong. We haven't repaired anything on either of the two vehicles asides from basic maintenance. The current GMC has to be the best family vehicle that we've ever owned. I'm also not saying that there is anything wrong with the Japanese vehicles and they are in fact designed very well; I'm just saying that some of the GM vehicles are also designed pretty good these days.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor