Build A Hellcat Eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
That's all cool and all, but if it had a V8 to begin with, it should be a 6.2. Why people try to make huge power from 5.3 truck engines when they could start with a 6.2 is beyond me. It's like trying to choose between building a 260 or 403 Olds V8.

Or between a 403 and 455 Olds 😜

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
So much hate for Hellcats... I love it!

Hail to the King, baby!

I've been telling the guys on the Hellcat forums that they are the worst cars to make into bespoke drag cars. Most are too heavily optioned and too complicated. They do lots of things well and are not technically the most proficient at anything. It is a GT car, not a drag car as so many folks con themselves into believing. I've also told them that a fast car driven poorly embarrasses us all. I don't think they like me very much... LOL.

OP has finally come around to the realization the only way a G-body can top a HC is in a straight line. But, at 1000lbs lighter is that really much of a win? Its not.

There are lots of ways to run low-9s in a G-body, and lots of things that you can leave out that a modern muscle car cannot (and cannot remove without voiding the warranty) to get the results you want. However, to get a G-body to be a 9 or 10 second fully comparable GT car like the HC... well that is going to take almost twice the cost of the HC... and a decade to generate the resources, parts, and to construct it.

I showed you a perfect starting point car that is well built for fair money which will easily achieve your goals... and you can tweak it over time as money allows or desire dictates.

Also, we'll see how badly the HC handles in autocross this summer. ;)

Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
That's all cool and all, but if it had a V8 to begin with, it should be a 6.2. Why people try to make huge power from 5.3 truck engines when they could start with a 6.2 is beyond me. It's like trying to choose between building a 260 or 403 Olds V8.

Here's why, because displacement matters way less (especially in the LS world) than you realize:

So you don't agree with my 4.8L plan, Mr. No-Replacement-for-Displacement? I'll let anyone else eat the 6.0+ tax and soak up 4.8s all day long on the cheap.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Building a hell kitty killer?

I believe I am on that path.

Having had an SRT8 with a 6.4 previously, I'm pretty sure I am tuning, tires and some minor tweaks away from it. Still ugly as sin though.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Building a hell kitty killer?

I believe I am on that path.

Having had an SRT8 with a 6.4 previously, I'm pretty sure I am tuning, tires and some minor tweaks away from it. Still ugly as sin though.

My HC came with nice paint... ever priced a quality repaint on a G-Body? Because: Ouch.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
BnB.png

Given the financial ability, you can buy whatever you want...

But not everyone has the ability to BUILD something with their own two hands...

-Gonz

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
building a G body to beat a Hellcat is easily done if you have the budget and all the info is online or you can pay someone else to do it but I think it's a waste if after all that all you can say my car is faster, that is until they put out a faster Hellcat.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
View attachment 133006

Given the financial ability, you can buy whatever you want...

But not everyone has the ability to BUILD something with their own two hands...

-Gonz

What if you have the ability, and are doing, both? Where does your argument stand then?

Would you shun me if I showed up in my Hellcat, just to run home and bring back one of the cars I built just to have you call me a show off?

Have I become an outcast in both realms? Hmmm...

Just because you build a faster car out of a beer can doesn't mean you have built a better car. You just built a fast beer can.

Reactions: 2 users

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Ironically the only way you're gonna build a G to eat Hellcats and be street friendly is to use all the parts that modern performance cars ( like the Hellcat ) have. So in the end you'll end up with a Gbody car in looks/styling only.
So get a G, beef up suspension/chassis to the highest degree and then put a Hellcat drivetrain in it. It would be faster cuz its lighter....

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

6.2 = square port heads / 243 = cathedral, cathedral ports win with boost. SBE is much more secure in rpm's with the smaller rotating mass, and the 4.8's shorter stroke increases the benefit of the smaller rotating mass. Of course, some of this is my opinion, but this a great debate that has been waged many times. Again, IMO, the 4.8/5.3 platform is comparable to the larger displacements because of what is creating the HP - heads and boost. A 243 or 799 cathedral port head will not limit any power on anything up to a 6.2. And if you want the most out of the heads, then increase boost to compensate as the displacement drops.

Couple this with 4.8's and 5.3 are available for well less than $500 vs a 6.2's price, and the smaller displacement wins again.

My two cents :):)

Regarding built vs. bought discussion - hell yeah with the built. Anyone can buy something and also take it to someone to fix/update or whatever. And I don't believe that the bulk of G-body owners are in the HellCat or new 'Vette price range that's in or about the 6 figure area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor