Build A Hellcat Eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedman87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2019
Southern Maryland
Its a shame that we can invest all this time and money in our cars and at the end of the day some snob can walk into the dealer and blow the paint off our doors with a car off the show room floor. One of my best friends has a Hellcat that runs 9.8s that he drives to work everyday. Im sure a few on the forum can match and even beat that but is it a daily driver?? technology has just got amazing and its inevitable that it continues in this direction. After I'm done with my 87 MCSS build with a N/A 6.0 and $25K later I'm modestly hoping for low 12s/high 11 sec 1/4 mile times. So just for S**Ts and giggles.... if you were to build a G body hellcat eater what route would you go??? how much engine, boost, and or nitrous will it take? what power train would sustain this power? what chassis upgrades would you make? rear end gear? what suspension and tires upgrades to put it to the ground?? the more details the better. lol. lets have some fun with this.........

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Mike can match that Hellcat.... :popcorn:

personally I build my GP to have fun working on it and driving it, not to race or compare it to anyone else's car.

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Speedman87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2019
Southern Maryland
Mike can match that Hellcat.... :popcorn:

personally I build my GP to have fun working on it and driving it, not to race or compare it to anyone else's car.
This is true. Also i always tell those guys id much rather get the enjoyment out of making something fast than just buying something fast. Just curious of what peoples formulas would be

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
This is true. Also i always tell those guys id much rather get the enjoyment out of making something fast than just buying something fast. Just curious of what peoples formulas would be

Mike has it both ways, there are some guys in here who have a serious set up..

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Yeah! F*ck those snobs and their Hellcats!

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 14 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I would not bother. Instead, I would buy a Hellcat or other similar modern sports car if my goal was to compete with modern stuff. G bodies are antiques and have been so for a long time now. Being antiques, they are at a grave disadvantage and can only be updated by a limited amount before they hit the wall of their original and outdated design parameters. Moreover, G bodies were not even designed to be performance cars, the performance models are afterthoughts. They were designed to be Granny cars first and foremost. Overall, its comparing Apples to Oranges. What determines how fast you are is the size of your wallet, more so then ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Speedman87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2019
Southern Maryland
Think we're missing the point of the thread here........this is a theoretical build. Not a plan of action. Plus seeing a grandma mobile do a wheel stand and dust a hellcat would be a nice sight to see

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I've been over this is painstaking detail in my search for, and acquisition of, a Hellcat (it is all in the thread in my signature). The business case doesn't support it - but who ever said that this hobby was built around good decisions, right?

Assuming you have the money in hand (because it will cost about $70K to do it) here's what I would do:

1. Buy a car that is already built up (well, not a clapped out POS) with, at a minimum, something that has good suspension under it already because getting it right is going to nickel and dime you to death (and these cars have a lot of sins hiding) An example: https://ls1tech.com/forums/market/1926457 (but, this is a way better start: https://ls1tech.com/forums/market/1930073);

2. Now buy all of the amenities that a modern car has (with your remaining money), blow the car you bought apart, and start fabricating until you can pull a lateral G with the A/C on, and brake in 100 feet; and

3. See you on the road in about 5 years.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor