Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking good. My 78 Monte is primed and sanded a couple of times, going to get it sprayed this weekend. a good friend who was a body man is doing the prep work. He was layed off between jobs so this is a great fill in for him. He did the same method of prepping the body for paint as you did. When I have time, I will post some pictures.

Well, I will hopefully be posting pics from the paint booth in a few weeks, then sanding and buffing, etc. I hope to document the process pretty well so as to give others an idea of just what is involved. I am not a body man, nor have I ever done any kind of automotive repairs as a profession. I deliver pizza for a living, and this car was my old delivery beater 10 years ago. It will have the body and paint finished by August, as I go back to school at the end of that month and will not have time to finish it then.

edit

Admitting Defeat...

Well, I have officially given up on the one spot on a G body that is nigh unto impossible to get right when it is wrong. I am talking about the area of the roof that is in the middle of where the Landau top molding goes. It has a slight wave in it, and after several days, and endless hours spent trying to get it right I give up. The metal will not hold it's shape and is impossible to shape filler to. So, I will have a flaw in my otherwise almost perfect paint job. It sucks, but it is time to move on with it so that I can get back to having a normal life that is not consumed with body work. Next time, I will not put a pizza sign on the roof, or will take more care in doing so ( I originally thought I would replace it due to rust). The hood will also be a bit wavy, but it is aluminum, and just too soft to work out every minor imperfection in.

Re: Admitting Defeat...

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Well, I have officially given up on the one spot on a G body that is nigh unto impossible to get right when it is wrong. I am talking about the area of the roof that is in the middle of where the Landau top molding goes. It has a slight wave in it, and after several days, and endless hours spent trying to get it right I give up. The metal will not hold it's shape and is impossible to shape filler to. So, I will have a flaw in my otherwise almost perfect paint job. It sucks, but it is time to move on with it so that I can get back to having a normal life that is not consumed with body work. Next time, I will not put a pizza sign on the roof, or will take more care in doing so ( I originally thought I would replace it due to rust). The hood will also be a bit wavy, but it is aluminum, and just too soft to work out every minor imperfection in.

Get somebody to hold pressure on the inside of the roof with a big 6x6 or something, if you can get to it, hahaha its how i blocked a honda.

Just Karter said:
so that I can get back to having a normal life that is not consumed with body work.

Exactly why I gave up on auto body work a long time ago and just concentrate on powertrain aspects now. Body work is just not all that much fun to me. :?

-UT-

Just Karter said:

Get somebody to hold pressure on the inside of the roof with a big 6x6 or something, if you can get to it, hahaha its how i blocked a honda.

Oh, believe me, I have tried that. It will have a minor wave that 99.9% of the public will never notice, and is only about 3-4 inches long. It's time to move on, I have a date with Calculus and Chemistry classes starting at the end of August. College has to come before the toys so that I can get a real job and have more of them.

i was just reading about the wave in your roof, when i removed my vinal i had a little one too, i used a product called "slick sand" its a thick filler primer, goes on real thick and you sand it (its the same as primer) your finish coat will stick to it just fine

an easy way to get a nice smooth finish without using bondo, and theres no issue with your paint chipping after, if need be you could use it on your whole car and the body work will look amazing!

Well, you have to remember this car's history as a pizza delivery car for 140k miles of it's life. It is not just the vinyl top removal that caused the problem, the roof was dented there from hitting it a few times with the magnetic sign. So, I had to try and fill it. Unfortunately, the filler is almost impossible to sand there, and if you push down too hard with the sanding block, it pressure dents below it as well, requiring more filler. I have probably put 30-40 hours into trying to get it right over the years, using every sander, block, and filler imaginable. I have also hit it from below with a body hammer, so the dent is no longer the same shape it was when I started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor