Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another decision I have come to is to keep the Enkei Wheels I have on the car now, and have them straightened, the spiders sandblasted, and the lips polished. I will then paint the centers a Hyundai Elantra Gold color I have seen that I think works well with the car. I simply don't have $1,000+ to spend on a set of wheels for the car. I am debating tire sizes right now though. I think the fronts will be 245 50 16, but the rears I am debating if I should do the 245 50's or 255 50's? I would prefer 255 45's on all 4, but no one makes them. The other option would be 265 50's rear, but they cost twice as much as 245's, so I guess I will not do that.

I am also going to shop for another TH 200 4R in the junkyard, if I can find a fresh rebuild for the $75 they want for a transmission. I will put in a more aggressive governor, and try to use the valve body I have with the shift kit in it. I want a manual, but I really just need to get this thing going cheaply now that I am taking 3/4 time credit hours for the next year or two.

On that note, anyone want to buy a set of brand new, never installed Global West upper control arms? I can't really afford to do the negative roll thing now either.

check discounttire.com
They'll have good sales from time to time. I got my Falkens from them for only $226 to my door. That was with their $100 off 4 tires deal. I'm running 245/50-16 up front and 255/50-16 rears. They are a good tire for the price.

Actually, I think that's who's site I looked at for my pricing. I was probably going to use the Falkens in a Z or W rated tire as they seem to have the best price.

i would keep your wheels. one they are cheaper two they are different than everyone elses which is cool to have i think personally

Right now, price is the main consideration for keeping them, plus I think they go well with the lines of the car. I really need to fix my roof next, so I need to make my Cutlass as drivable as possible for as little cash as possible. I also want to put my AMC Spirit together to sell it, then buy a more fuel efficient beater too. So, I can't put all of my limited eggs in the Cutlass's basket right now. I have to focus on life as a whole instead. Besides, it handles quite well, will have a nice stereo, good condition ( if not a bit geriatric!) Brougham interior, A/C, power everything, nice paint, and more power than I need ( for now...) under the hood. It has so much torque that I have a difficult time driving it up on ramps as the slightest touch of the pedal almost launches it off the end of them! It may make it hard to put on ramps, but it makes it fun to drive and pretty fuel efficient too. So, it is not like I am settling on a barely functional POS.

Pretty much finished all of my 220 grit block sanding today. All I have left is the area around the windshield, and that should not take too long. I hope to have it in it's final primer/surfacer tomorrow afternoon. My plan is to let it set up for a week or so before the final 400 grit blocking, and to use the time to concentrate on the bumper covers, mirrors, and quarter extensions.

From the doors rearwards is now in 3-4 coats ( lost count) of primer/surfacer, and is guide coated. Now I have to prime the fenders, block out the header panel, fix a few minor issues with the hood, and prime all that too. The bumper covers, and mirrors are all that is left to prep after that, so I will probably have it ready to paint by the end of next week. Pics to follow in a day or so.

jonnyslick said:
Yeah if you don't want the rims ... give me a call ... *wink*
Well, I can't afford to replace them. Besides, they kind of make the car, and go with my "80's Touring" motif...:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor