Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good work so far, how long has it taken to sand/paint it?

I have about 4 months of prep into it so far, and have a week or two left before I am ready to spray it.

It'll look hot sh*t when its done though. How long you think it would take to sand/prime a cutlass with minimal bondo work (if the body's condition is about an 8 out of 10)

A month or two's worth of spare time. Mine had no major dents, and only 1 ding. It did, however, have some minor rust issues and peeling paint issues. When you get in to it, you find way more than you thought was there. I thought I would only spend a few weeks on prep. After all, I had all of the dings filled in an afternoon, and the roof, hood and trunk stripped last summer. Silly me! I wound up putting 25-30 hours in customizing the fenders, loads of time on the floors, and more time on patching two small rust holes and fixing rusty seams. Plus, this week I have to prep the bumper covers and fix a ding I found in the hood that's about the size of a dime. If I want to do it right, I will also have the small crack in the hood welded with a TIG welder and braced with more aluminum so that it does not crack again. This is the reason I am writing that sticky in the Body/Trim forum, to help people realistically assess their projects.

Well, I finally primered the bumper covers today with SEM Flexible Bumper Primer. I also primered the front fenders for the second time, and the quarter extensions for the first time as well. I still need to block the header panel, and prime it and the hood a second time before I can finish the 400 grit blocking. I almost forgot, I have yet to prep the mirror pods either.

I started blocking the passenger's side today, and it is arrow straight. No bare metal coming through, and the guide coat is disappearing nicely. I may even have it ready to spray next week, but it is more likely to be done the week after as I do not wish to rush my final prep time. I have new pics to post, but I have yet to upload them to Myspace.

Picked up a few needed items at the U Pull It today. I got a T-5 trans, almost perfect dark blue dash, 87-88 power seat track and motors, and a mint upper door panel for $185. Not cheap, but it's hard to find most of that stuff and I cold not pass it up. I also did more blocking today to get it closer to paint.

I still hate my car's roof. That is all.

you gonna swap the trans or wait till after the car is done?

The trans swap is far off in the future as courses in chemistry and calculus await me in the fall. I am just trying to get it painted and dried in before then. However, I am going to be running parts for it any time I find them at the right price. I still need the right seats for my conversion to a manual trans. Stock G body or F body buckets are not supportive enough, so I will be sourcing them from a German donor car. I will retain the G car tracks if possible, and weld up some adapters to mate German excellence with American mediocrity.

Here's a pic of the hood and header panel after the application of the second primer coat and guide coat.
l_b0e478e242fbcd0bf405e44c42b1448e.jpg

Also, some beautiful Florida Weather!
l_21a72dce1c533d5babc6182760e02378.jpg

l_fe9d03033a3dfd07dd283e0ed63f06e5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor