Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, thanks anyways.

Oh yes, there is an update for today! I struck out again on a dark blue headliner, but wound up cutting a bulkhead connector from a donor car. I needed one pin from it to make my temp gauge work. I also bought 20 feet of 4 gauge cable for the amps, and routed it through the firewall. The last thing I got was a section of 1/4 in landau foam from an upholstery shop. I used this to make a new steering column gasket and finally get that sealed. I also painted the glovebox door (I found my original one!) and the column, along with putting another coat on one of the headliner trims that had blushed due to high humidity when it was sprayed. Then, I finally assembled one of the fenders to the inner fender using all the bolts, and plan to have the other fender completed by the end of the evening. First, I have to seal one last thing on the firewall: The hood release cable. It seems that every damn thing that bolts to the firewall does not seal anymore! I am using my butyl acetate strip caulk for all my sealing needs as it is messy but easy to work with. Plus, it stays pliable for a long time and does not dry out. I hope to have the fenders and header panel finished tonight, with the carpet on the list as a bonus if I have time. I still have to seal the floor drains though, so it will likely be tomorrow when that gets done. Anyhow, I gotta get back out there and finish this up.

Well, I broke the header panel tonight! I was bolting it in through the fender when the mounting lug sheared off. It did not damage the paint, but as several of the other holes will not hold a bolt, I will have to take it apart and attempt to repair the broken fiberglass. I don't want to have to source another one as it will be expensive by the time I paint it. Grrr.... why does this crap always have to happen? The car was going together quite well. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it? I think I'll post a thread about this issue.

Yeah, once you loosen and tighten the fasteners on those header panels a few times, the glass gets weaker and weaker...

I've got epoxy in almost every hole for my grilles... :roll:
At least you didn't try and run a bigger screw through to hold it in, and poke out the other side like I did when I was a bit of a n00b. Still pisses me off when I see it... :x

Best suggestion I have is to set a stud in there with some epoxy, and then just be super careful with it.

Unfortunately, it broke the post clean off the header panel, so now I have to glue the plastic post that the stud screws in to back on to the panel. I'll probably get back to it when I have finished putting the hood back on and get the interior as finished as I can without a headliner. There is still a ton of other stuff to do.

Note to self: The firewall on the passenger's side still has an unknown leak. It showed up due to light rain, but did not show with the hose.

I finally found my water leak! It was not the firewall after all, but rather the passenger's side window. It seems my horrible reproduction roof rail weatherstripping (soffseal) was not sealing the window in the corner where it meets the door and was allowing water to stream in when it rained. I found it with the hose running without the nozzle to simulate water flow during rain. I have since put a small piece of foam tape behind the seal to push it out a bit and it seems to have worked. Now on to installing the new carpet and the seats!

Nice!! Good luck, seems like everyhting is coming together pretty smoothly.

Today I put the hood hinges and hod back on for the last time. It's all lined up now and awaiting the final bolt down of the front clip to the body. I also installed and sealed the seat belt retractor pockets for the front seats, and did some of my sound deadening as well. Then, I sealed the floor drains with a combination of sound deadener and strip caulk. I was going to put the rear deck speakers and door speakers in, but I was out of small drill bits to drill mounting holes with. I decided to finish the stereo install before I put any more of the interior in. This way, I won't track dirt, sawdust and metal shavings on the new carpet. So much is done, but so much remains left to do. I just hope to have this phase finished before August 20th, when I go back to school.

One thing I have observed is that it takes a lot longer to put a car together as an adult than it did when I was younger. I don't think it has anything to do with the amount of energy you have. Rather, I think it has to do with experience and the desire to get it right the first time. After all, as an adult you have driven new cars a few times, and the experience makes you think about things like fit and finish, squeaks and rattles, etc. When you are younger, you leave out bolts and things that are not absolutely necessary to make the car move. As an adult, you won't put up with the inevitable aggravation that comes from the absence of those parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor