Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to get another mirror, but it's best to strip it down to bare metal and start fresh.

And for pics, I use my CarDomain site... It's free, and I've got a TON of pics on there...

I will do another mirror at a later time since that would let me put the car together for the time being. I have a roommate as of next Monday, so I need to clear space. What does all this have to do with a mirror? Well, the whole interior of The cutlass, plus the stereo is stored in my spare bedroom, so I need to clear it out this week. If I paint another mirror housing for the car later, I can just swap it out at that point. I have a passenger's mirror, but I don't know about a driver's.

Anyhow, the wrinkles are small, so I can probably just bury it in the clear and no one will notice. I hate to be that way, but the car would never win a concours judging with that paint job anyhow.

It looks good in clear so far. 2 coats down, 2 more to go in about 5 minutes. Much longer and it will be terribly wrinkled, much shorter and it will run. I don't want to cut and buff the mirrors yet, so I am hoping for a smooth application that I can buff out later when I do the second round of the rest of the car.

Pics

Anyway you could post some pics of the pulley and bracket setup. Also what throttle cable/TV cable bracket did you use. I'm nearing the end of my build, dropping a chevy 350 and 700r-4 into my 84 cutlass.

All my brackets are stock 1985 305 G body parts except for the A/C compressor brackets. Those are from a HO 305 powered 1984 Z-28 and they let me clear the dual snorkel air filter base from that car as GM intended...had GM ever used it on a G body. As for pics, there are some in this thread and they detail how the car sits in my driveway today. Under the hood, you would be hard pressed to tell that it was not a stock 305 instead of a mildly built 355 with aftermarket heads.

As of now, the A/C compressor and hoses are not installed. (In fact, the car barely runs at all due to bad plug wires.) Pics of the mock up phase, however, are also in this thread. Yes, it is 38 pages, but it is all there.

pics

I looked through the thread at all the pics, is there anyway that you know of to put the AC comp. on the passenger side?

There may be a way to do it with a V belt drive (like I have), but the most available option is to use a serpentine setup as the GM serpentine puts it on the passenger's side. That requires all new pulleys and accessories though, so it is not really cheap.

Today's update: Went to the junkyard to look for a blue headliner but had no luck. I did find a rare, 3 motor seat track in a 1988 (or so it was marked) Cutlass Supreme Brougham that I should have grabbed, but didn't due to money being short. I did make progress though. I installed the driver's side sport mirror and am about to do the same for the passenger's side. I also cut the passenger's door for the speaker, and am in the middle of changing the power window motor on that side. I am also changing both door windows to a better set I had. All that should be done by about 3am. The lack of a headliner puts me behind though, and I really needed the extra space in the house that the interior stuff currently takes up.

Also, a diary entry for myself: The rust monster has returned to the roof today and I noticed a few little bubbles.

Today's update: Finished installing the windows, door mirrors, cutting the door speaker holes and new window motor last night. For today, I tried for something more ambitious: swapping the dash. I didn't finish though because I found more work behind the dash than I thought I had. I wound up sealing the joints in the ducts with black silicone. I also had to fix leaky foam between the different pieces. I am about to duct tape all the joints between the various pieces with black duct tape as that will further seal the duct work. Why do all this? Well, with the A/C on, I am more concerned with cooling the interior of the car than the back of the dash. GM did a less than stellar job making the ducts back in the day, and after 20+ years there is a noticeable difference in the amount of air that comes through the ducts and the amount that leaks out. I am hoping to remedy that. The final projects that I will be doing in the dash install are drilling the hole for the cruise control harness to pass through, and running the speaker wires and mounting the crossovers then wiring the speakers. I don't have the amps in yet, but I do have the speaker wires run for the amps in the trunk already. Hopefully, by the end of next week I will have a mostly complete Cutlass as yard art rather than an incomplete one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor