Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I finally put the rest of the seats in, bolted down the speaker box and installed my front fender trims. I am waiting to install the final moldings that go from the wheel arch to the bumper until I get the final trim clip. I also drove it another 40-50 miles because I just can't help myself! I LOVE driving this thing!!!

Anyhow, here is what is still to be done in making this a complete car:

Tilt lever install
Fix steering issue
Replace steering wheel
Alignment
Tires
Tint windows
Fix Defrost grid shorts
Clean overspray off inside the back window
Weld tailpipes to brackets so that clamps are not needed to clean things up a bit cosmetically
Figure out what to do with the visors
Get final Cruise Control bracket and install system
Larger Alternator
Big honkin' capacitor for the stereo
New A/C compressor
Install A/C
Hood peak trim and hood ornament
Plug wires and tune up
Gas Tank
Rebuild Carburetor
Fix minor leak in top of windshield
Limited Slip Differential
New transmission of some sort
Install Oil Cooler
Fix Tachometer
Hook up temp gauge
Fix Fuel gauge stability issue
Dome Light
Straighten and restore or replace wheels
Replace wiper motor and install rear hood bumper

That's all that comes to mind right now. Yeah, it's a long list, but that is the reality of building a project car.

Hey I was looking at your specs and noticed you're using the same World Torquer heads as the motor i just bought. How are the flow characteristics and should I spend the time to port them before I put the motor in? Additionally, I noticed you're using a camaro cold air intake. I was wondering if you could post a pic or direct me to one you already have on the site and also maybe give a little description of what I can get the intake off of and how difficult it is to install.
Thanks

I did not port mine, so I don't know if you should. It depends on what the rest of the engine has in it. As for the intake, there are some pics of it in this thread somewhere, probably towards the beginning.

OK, I've remained quiet on this thread up to this point, but have been reading it religiously 😀

PLEASE follow your list and get rid of those old Enkei wheels. The gold intricate BS (a-la 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix) does not work with your paint, their style is outdated, they are worn, etc. They are making your paint and other cosmetic work look terrible. And I'm not saying to put on ghetto '22's either. It needs something classy, even a set of classic chrome Cragars would vastly improve the look. Enkei is a good wheel, not knocking them, but those need to go as they just keep on mirroring what the car was before you started fully restoring it. Other than that I admire your tenacity, knowledge, and persistence! 😀

-UT-

Have you ever sat down and figured out how much $ you have in your car?? Just saying, I've been tempted to that with mine...

3XBrownCutty said:
Have you ever sat down and figured out how much $ you have in your car?? Just saying, I've been tempted to that with mine...

one word of advice, don't. it's not fun

I honestly do not want to know how much I have spent on the car! It is probably in the $12-15k range if you add up everything since 1993 and include the purchase price that was paid when the car was bought for me. I easily have spent $1500-2,000 just this year alone, and probably have another $3-4k before I could really say it is done.

As for the wheels, I love and hate them. Yes, the paint color is somewhat modern, but the car is built with an old vibe to it. If I get new wheels they will bridge the gap between the two and be sort of a tuner look with a musclecar offset. I do want them to be gold with a polished lip though as it contrasts well off the paint color (you would have to see it in person). As for Cragars... Yuk. I hate those things! Too 60's or 70's for my taste. ( I grew up in the 80's and was a young adult in the grunge era.) If I get new wheels, they will probably be 17in 2 piece wheels and easier to keep clean than the mesh wheels are.

The interior is done for now, but may be getting a remodel in the future. I plan on getting a set of 1980's Recaro seats for it when I go to the 5 speed setup. The seats will be done in the same color vinyl as it came with new but with a velour insert in the center. I plan to use all NOS material to do this as it will match best. Then again, I may not use NOS when I figure out the cost as it could be worse than leather. If I go that route, I will sell off the pillow top seats and go with a normal rear trimmed to match the buckets up front. I will also design and build a custom center console that will add functionality (cupholderS and a decent storage bin) but keep the 80's feel to the car. I don't mind the 80's so long as I don't have to have big hair...lol.

These are some of the seats I would consider. These are from Corbeau, but they have the look I want. Cost? Without upholstery they start at $220 each. Upholstered they are expensive enough that I will take a class and learn how to do it myself.
GTSII-20301-F-L.jpg

An alternate that fits my fat *ss better:
SportSeat-90001-F-L.jpg

Grrr... They don't want to show now...

Here are a few interior shots I took the other day.

l_9fbed0be5c2242cdb1ac59f857e24c5b.jpg

l_4dfa6f7b2c6148cda27f40e0eb07ede6.jpg

l_3cc3297970304eeb9e4a761d90b8e8d5.jpg

And one external shot. I have to fix a small leak in the windshield, so the top trim is off.
l_bb5f7e7c57004a9a911df73f43c20e1e.jpg

Your Brougham interior is VERY similar to my CL interior. I'll have to post pics some time. Maybe even one of the car on the outside even. You think a Computer Science major would know how to work a digital camera....

Seriously awesome. Paint really shines! Interior looks nice too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor