Build Thread: '87 442 . . . Time to turn and stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Probably not. You're this far; why stop? Get it high enough to get in there and do it right, or regret it later. <read that in a Hans and Franz type o' way>

Reactions: 1 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Well, two things.

One: My frame only has some surface rust here and there. 28K miles, none in winter, garaged 24x7.

Two: My ticking clock is getting a little more serious. I don't have the physical capacity to do things compared to just 3 years ago when this started and I need to get this thing done. Plus my 67 "driver car (??)" needs some attention that I will only do in the shop. I think both mains are leaking along with the DS pan gasket and either the front seal in the transmission or something more serious.

So get the 87 done more per the original suspension and brakes project plus - new bushings and rear end. Tick-tock-tick-tock. Swap cars. Pull motor/transmission from the 67. See what version of 425 I have and how serious? I guess popping the intake is the only way to know for SURE? Find transmission leak and how serious? If I have a 39 degree 425, I will likely re-cam it while out and put on a Performer intake. If 45 degree, will just fix the leaks and drive it. If I discover it has more serious surprises, I may build up the 400 that belongs in it? Tick-tock-tick-tock!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Not much progress other than to share yet another hair pulling experience dealing with gbodyparts. I suspect it's my last. Problems every time about something. They did NOT even send the Regal lip even though I said in my notes I intended to modify it to work on my 442 bumper. They sent B-pillar interior plastic trim instead of the bright moldings I ordered. I finally got an RMA for that which said in the RMA I would be getting a return shipping label. The shipping label never happened though they claimed it did. I informed them it did not happen and they told me they would not refund my card OR send me the correct parts until THEY get the wrong parts back. :rant:Not just venting here though. Sharing this for those that have not dealt with them to likely expect similar BS.

I did finally get the Regal lip and I do think I can make it work. Since I've still got the entire front end loose doing the bushing swap I cannot "exactingly" check the alignment as it wraps around the corner back to the lower fender but just holding it up there it at least looks promising. Just have to remove material in the center for the narrower bumper when I get to it?

I also got the very front of the frame rails cleaner/etcher'd and ready for encapsulator primer and then satin black final coat. I am using Eastwood products. Most have mentioned POR but I did not like the way it looked on my rear end before I had to "do it twice Garth" that. Despite being cleaned and etched per instructions, the POR looked more plastic like on my axle tube and I could flake it off without too much trouble. But since the rear end had to come out and rebuilt, that got blasted and coated . . . again twice per them shooting the wrong color. It never ends . . . it never ends! Everything twice.

Reactions: 1 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Argh, Do it twice Garth forgot I am converting this car to SAE whilst swapping everything so have to find conversion bolts/keepers for all the body bushings. At least I was only “1/2” done. Good project for while the food is digesting. (y)

Happy Turkey Peeps!

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor