Bumper Strips for my '79 Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
I was looking on e-bay for replacement bumper strips for my '79 Monte. I found some there on e-bay. chevy7dss is the seller. He has 100% satisfaction rating for over 1500 sales. Has anybody ordered these from him? Are they any good? Here is a link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/78-7...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Let me know what you thought of the product if you have any expierence or if you have any alternatives.

Thanks,
Russ

rmorman said:
I was looking on e-bay for replacement bumper strips for my '79 Monte. I found some there on e-bay. chevy7dss is the seller. He has 100% satisfaction rating for over 1500 sales. Has anybody ordered these from him? Are they any good? Here is a link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/78-7...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Let me know what you thought of the product if you have any expierence or if you have any alternatives.

Thanks,
Russ

No experience but wow. I didnt expect them to cost that much

You can get those chrome strips at any Autozone. Just buy the 2in strip and the 3/4in strip. All together it cost me around $45.00

2009-07-02110931.jpg

Same sh*t without a middle man. Now if you find OEM or reproduction of the actual trim you will probably shell out some $$.

Hey 87LS/88SS nice Monte. Looks exactly like mine, without the hydros. Wish I would have known about your strips earlier, would have saved me $150.00! It's exactly the stuff they are selling on e-bay for $200.00. I went to a site called flexchrome.com and I am trying to get a sample of their trim that is curved to see if fits into the groove on the bumper like the factory strips. Figure two of their one inch strips would fill in where the long strips are and provide the center crease like the original.

ibeeel2 said:
Does anybody know where I can get my old bumper strips rechromed? Or if they can be rechromed?

If it's metal it can be chromed, and steel is the cheapest. This is a local kind of thing, check the phone book or call around. If you can't find a place who does it, ask your local body shops where they take theirs. You'll love the results if they do a good job... it's better than a new part IMO

(plastic/rubber can be chromed but you'd better be Bill Gates before asking)

You could always try to sand them up nice and primer/chrome spray paint/clear coat/color sand/buff. They should look good and it'll give you time to save money for real chrome or a new trim

Chrome spray paint does not react well with clear coat. Give it a try and see what I mean. It turns all blotchy and mottled looking.
It also doesn't hold up well against being handled, or the elements for that matter.
It looks great on something you'll never touch.
I've used it a number of times on the inside of turn signal housings where the original plating had faded, but weren't worth the trouble of having redone.

I believe the OEM stuff is vinyl (or something of that nature). With the years of temp change and beat downs by the elements I would bet its warped and possibly has tears. I would just look for someone selling NOS bumper molding, or have a set made.

Blake442 said:
Chrome spray paint does not react well with clear coat. Give it a try and see what I mean. It turns all blotchy and mottled looking.
It also doesn't hold up well against being handled, or the elements for that matter.
It looks great on something you'll never touch.
I've used it a number of times on the inside of turn signal housings where the original plating had faded, but weren't worth the trouble of having redone.

Try letting the paint cure for a few weeks or a month next time. It shouldn't affect the chrome paint at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor