butt hurt over my 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
speedbob said:
the 305 chevy motor..frikin bulletproof!

They have no durability advantages vs any other engines and the early ones were absolute junk!

My question is why is everybody so against the little small block?

Because the 305 offers NO performance advantage in any way over a 350, so building a 305 over a 350 will just give you less performance in the end and for the same cost.

I had a 1973 mustang with a 302 in it and not one person that rode in it said" you gotta go bigger" It was fast.. Why dont we associate the smaller block chevy's with power?

A Ford 302 was/is a performance engine. A 305 was/is a smogger engine. 302's bigger bore vs small bore of 305's = 302 wins!

Clone TIE Pilot said:
305 breathe well, just not past 6,500 RPM.

Many would argue that statement. Yes it 'breaths' just like any other engine does, but to say that it breaths 'well' I think is a bit of a stretch. If a 305 breaths 'well', than what engine breaths 'bad'?

They have the same bore / stroke ratio as 383s.

Yes, but the 383 still has the bigger bore over the 305 which means it can breath better which means more horsepower.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
383s don't make power because they flow better, they make more power because they are a larger displacement.
It seems many don't understand is that a small bore doesn't need as much flow since they have low RPM velocity to fill the cylinder and a smaller space to fill. Small bores do a better job mixing their charge better which allows higher CR.

Larger bores do flow more, but they need to since they have less velocity at low RPMs and more space to fill. This makes them prone to having lean spots that cause spark knock and limits CR.

The only disadvantage an 305 has compared to 350s and 383s is that it is a smaller displacement.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The early 305's were terrible motors, cam and oil burners. There are tons of sbc 350's out there for a reasonable price.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Clone TIE Pilot said:
383s don't make power because they flow better, they make more power because they are a larger displacement.
It seems many don't understand is that a small bore doesn't need as much flow since they have low RPM velocity to fill the cylinder and a smaller space to fill. Small bores do a better job mixing their charge better which allows higher CR.

Larger bores do flow more, but they need to since they have less velocity at low RPMs and more space to fill. This makes them prone to having lean spots that cause spark knock and limits CR.

The only disadvantage an 305 has compared to 350s and 383s is that it is a smaller displacement.

Sounds like a bunch of engineering mumbo jumbo that even if there MAY be some truth to it, it doesn't work out in practice. Why is it you don't see more tiny bore engines going fast? Perhaps you can explain why the Ford 302 ( and the Chevy 302 for that matter ) kicks the 305's *ss in the performance department then? By your reasoning, the 305 should be better than the 302 because it has more displacement.

Olds made 2 different 400 cu in motors; an early one with a big bore and shorter stroke and a later one with a small bore and long stroke. Guess which of those engines Olds guys rarely bother building and why?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Your first sentence just proved you really don't understand what you are talking about. I never said a 305 was capable of making more total HP than a 302, that is just a stupid strawman argument you came up with. :roll:

Because oversquares can breathe more at higher RPMs allow them to make more high RPM power at the expense of low end power and efficiency. Most modern engines are much closer to square than older engines for a reason. Yes all I have said is true, try this thing called Google. This is pretty basic engine mechanics that even noob gearheads know.

But then this is just mumbo jumbo to someone like you. :lol:

It is a shame one can't have an intelligent discussion about 305s without some hateboy parroting the same bs. So with that I am done talking to you doublev.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Clone TIE Pilot said:
So with that I am done talking to you doublev.

I'm sorry to hear that since there's so much more you could teach me. I would've loved to hear your thoughts on how great the Chevy 307 is too. :roll:

dragonmaster093

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2011
gm 302 s were built for hi rpm high hp on purpose. and only reason they made street duty was due to the racing worlds sactioning bodies saying the had to have a min number in production and those were detuned for street. and unless your doing a resto of a camaro or doing a trans am race car i dont see people building them at all.

305's replaced the 283, 327, and 307 motors which along with 302 chevy were high winding motors that work real good with sticks and poweglide trans and steap gears. which was fine in the 60s when gas was cheap and milage was not a concern.

305 was never really designed to be a high performer it was your pedestrian power everything on wheels motor and have respectable milage.

so basically like all motors you can inprove on what the factory did with simple bolt ons. and the good thing is all them bolt ons can be used on other sbc or sold to fund a bbc ect

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
I have nothing against building the smaller small block Chevy engines (if you already have the engine lating around) If you have to go out a purchase a SBC engine to build, just start with the larger dispacement. I personally love seeing the small cubic inch engines produce good numbers. That 307 article talks about a good point, the quench! The 305/307 engines run more efficiently :idea: You can get the desired quench from the larger displacement small blocks, but it takes a little more work and calculation to get it right.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
WOW! That got all serious. Hope we didn't scare the new guy away. I can restate, from personal experience, that (even the early) 305s were decent. It did what it was designed to do which was move vehicles in a relatively economical fashion. They did have problems with heads cracking when overheated. They did have problems with oil consumption. They did have a tendency to flatten cams. ALL of those problems were avoidable with proper maintenance and ALL of those problems were just as prevalent with the 350s and 400s of the same era. My '79 305 has 160,000 on the clock and had never even had the valve covers off before I did a refresh on it a few months ago. It had religious oil changes with Delo400 by it's original owner and was kept in a good state of tune. All I did was reseal it and add a new timing set. -- that's right, I reused the factory cam. This is what it looked like inside:
005-29.jpg

007-17.jpg

As a stock engine it's no real powerhouse but it is reliable. They were built by the same people as the 350s and 400s at the time using parts cast in the same foundries. Reliability really boils down to proper maintenance. "Power" is relative to realistic expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor