Buzzing from speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
I have a buzzing issue from my speakers.

The front speakers slightly buzz all the time when the engine is running, even with the radio power off.
The rear speakers only buzz when the radio is on and engine running.

When the engine is off and the radio is on, there is no buzzing at all, perfectly clear sound.

the buzz is not so bad, when I turn the volume up you can't hear the buzz (the buzz doesn't get louder with the volume, it stays constant).

The buzz also is unaffected by revving the engine, etc.

Any suggestions?

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Ignition interference, make sure your plugs are resistor plugs.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Also, don't run solid core plug wires. However, I would check to be sure the plug wires do not have any breaks in them, and to be sure that they are properly seated. However, ignition noise usually varies with RPM, at least it does in my car.

You may also have an issue that is not related to the stereo or ignition, but rather you could have something loose and vibrating by the speakers, thus making it sound like there is one issue, when it is really another.

Yet another issue is if you routed signal and amp power wires too close together. This can cause interference due to electromagnetic radiation coming from a higher amperage power source and interfering with the wiring to the low power signal wires, such as RCA cables or even speaker wires. This is why it is important to maintain a little distance between them. This can even happen if the speaker wires or RCAs are routed too close to the taillight wiring harness. This is also why you will notice that GM routed all the speaker wires on the passenger' side, and the lighting harness and trunk popper wire on the driver's side.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Are you running off you deck, or you have an amp? If you have an amp, make sure the ground is as short as possible. And DO NOT ground your amp straight to the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor