HELP Suggestions on front/rear speakers

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Hey all, finally at that point i need to install speakers. 3.5" front dash & 6x9 Rear or Quality 4x10s if i can find some. What do all of you run that will fit into the factory mountings without cutting? or minimal. I've been told Kicker has good clear sound w/ nice bass & is great bang-for-buck. What about Skar? or even Retrosound's own Speakers? I may be getting the Retro-sound unit Motor 2A Radio And running my MTX 15" Subwoofer and amp. (I don't remember the models atm). Around 1000 - 1500W. Giver take. So yeah Let me know!

Last edited:

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I guess I don't understand why you don't just wire in an amp or line output converter & amp between the head unit and speakers. Amps are designed to accept the impedance of radio outputs, including 8-10 ohm. These same amps put out a 4 ohm signal compatible with a plethora of speakers. Problem solved. I highly, highly suggest the Soundstream unit I mentioned earlier, or one like it

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Define "modernized"... If you want a 3.5mm aux input jack or Bluetooth you can add both of those yourself. Or just add the jack and plug in the Bluetooth when you want it. There's also the option of wiring in a separate Bluetooth receiver/amp with speaker outputs, they're cheap and work very well.

And then there are Bluetooth receivers that double as control knobs like these https://www.sonicelectronix.com/search?keyword=xubt4.
I'm not sure how to explain that. I have one of those things that goes into the cig lighter for the Bluetooth and worked fine/works in my other vehicles too. I suppose i meant modernize as in The Internals to accept the new speakers etc. Otherwise, i would've just bought NOS speakers, i already had a set in my cart from eBay, lol. I just like Pure original okay? lol.

Reactions: 1 user

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
You can use your factory unit and run a line level converter from the amplified outputs which takes the speaker signal and converts it to RCA and then use an aftermarket amplifier if you are truly in search of great sound... for now though, sounds like any standard 4 ohm coaxial kicker, pioneer, jbl, rockford, etc. 3.5" and 4x10" replacements will give you better than factory paper speaker sound and keep things stock appearance. Since you're keeping the factory deck look for speakers with higher "db" or sensitivity ratings. They will get a bit louder and clearer without having to crank the volume as high and increase distortion. The factory speakers are lightweight paper cones(efficient) and the stock head units can have a hard time powering inefficient(lower sensitivity) aftermarket speakers.
Sounds like you know what you're doing! :p Wanna come do that for me? lol. Because i am clueless one of the many reasons i gave up trying to wire in the Sub and Amp i have for the car. Too much confusion. I am not an audio guy by far. Mechanical and that's it. I've got to buy the rear speakers next, CS Kicker 6x9 3-way. Thankfully i located an uncut speaker harness and some aftermarket adaptors that are plug-in play. I wasn't about to do wiring.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
I guess I don't understand why you don't just wire in an amp or line output converter & amp between the head unit and speakers. Amps are designed to accept the impedance of radio outputs, including 8-10 ohm. These same amps put out a 4 ohm signal compatible with a plethora of speakers. Problem solved. I highly, highly suggest the Soundstream unit I mentioned earlier, or one like it
no clue how. lol. plus i don't care to learn. it's too cold out for that now anyway in the garage the car is in there ain't no heat, I'm working on my squarebody for the winter.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
no clue how. lol. plus i don't care to learn. it's too cold out for that now anyway in the garage the car is in there ain't no heat, I'm working on my squarebody for the winter.
Fair enough.

random_farmhick

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2020
You car guys are lucky, yours came with rear speakers from factory, so it's relatively easy to put upgraded speakers in and make it look factory. Us El Camino guys have more work because they only came with the little 3.5" speakers in the dash... I am going to be putting speakers in the lower door panels, but still want something behind me yet...

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
You car guys are lucky, yours came with rear speakers from factory, so it's relatively easy to put upgraded speakers in and make it look factory. Us El Camino guys have more work because they only came with the little 3.5" speakers in the dash... I am going to be putting speakers in the lower door panels, but still want something behind me yet...
Eckler's used to sell a trim panel with speakers that replaced the piece just below the rear window, I don't know if they still do though. Or you can make boxes that sit in the rear foot wells and aim the speakers straight up. It's not ideal but you can make the boxes flush with the trans tunnel.

random_farmhick

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2020
Eckler's used to sell a trim panel with speakers that replaced the piece just below the rear window, I don't know if they still do though. Or you can make boxes that sit in the rear foot wells and aim the speakers straight up. It's not ideal but you can make the boxes flush with the trans tunnel.
Yeah I know I had seen them before, but unlike the cars, you have to buy extra parts just to have 4 speakers in it.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Yeah I know I had seen them before, but unlike the cars, you have to buy extra parts just to have 4 speakers in it.
Valid point. And if you're like me then putting a speaker wall on the smuggler's box is out of the question so the options are extremely limited. Do they still make the plastic headliner that houses speakers?

About the only thing I haven't seen someone try is "sound exciters" or "resonators" that turn anything into a speaker. https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DAEX25-Sound-Exciter-Pair-300-375 (there are many more size/wattage options)There's a guy that has some amazing videos on YouTube explaining the science, and he makes numerous versions to test but I can't remember the name right now. Maybe you could use them to turn the trim panels into speakers for a very inconspicuous system.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor