Bye bye big city!

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
What is under brushing the lot mean? I’m a licensed Michigan builder and we don’t use that term here.
You get a guy with a bobcat or similar that has basically a giant mulching attachment on the front. It chews up anything up to a couple inches diameter, and grinds/chews the small stumps and roots up and mixes it all into the first 8 or so inches of soil.

It's named for removing the underbrush., ie scrub

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Shop looks nice :)

Pools you say...

In ground? Out of ground? Vinyl liner or concrete?

I did pool construction for a summer in a past life....

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I heard about this guy with about a dozen Stihls in the trunk of his Regal. He might be interested in dropping the bigger trees for you.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Shop looks nice :)

Pools you say...

In ground? Out of ground? Vinyl liner or concrete?

I did pool construction for a summer in a past life....
Last night we were looking at vinyl lined, vs. concrete, vs. fiberglass. Vinyl lined is already out of the running. We want salt water and, based on very limited research, it doesn't look like concrete pools like salt water. It's looking like fiberglass but we've got quite a bit more research to do before we know that.

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
What is under brushing the lot mean? I’m a licensed Michigan builder and we don’t use that term here.
Just curious, what terminology do y'all use? Partial lot clearing?

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Can't speak for Michigan, but up in the northeast we didn't have all that scrub and vines like is in the south. You just had trees with some saplings here and there, nothing dense enough to need to be mulched.

Then there's the hills, all the rocks....

I tried uploading come pics of some land were looking at up there, but they aren't working..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
If there is growth that needs to be removed we simply call it clearing the lot. As noted, we don’t typically have to deal with the vines and invasive growth that you do. If there are trees we remove them but leave the stumps for the dozer.

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
We met with the underbrushing contractor on Friday to discuss having the lot underbrushed. The meeting went well. We've paid half the fee and we're on the schedule. He's the right guy to do the work. We're excited.

For L92 OLDS and anyone else unfamiliar with underbrushing, here's a few pics. This first one is on the "trail" which is roughly down our east lot line. The trail was cleared by the developer probably 1.5 years ago, so the surveyors could get in and do a big-picture topographic survey. In this picture, I'm maybe 60-70 feet in from the clearing line, looking back at the roadway....

20210822_142355_copy_2016x1512.jpg

Here, I've turned clockwise, maybe 135° and am looking at the underbrush (small trees, brush and vines)....

20210822_142400_copy_2016x1512.jpg

Here is a lot after a pretty thorough underbrushing job...

20210820_145653_copy_2016x1512.jpg

The "Pluck and Mulch" technique has been used. That is, the vines, brush and small trees are all plucked by one machine, roots and all, and then are placed in front of the hydro-axe, which then grinds them up into mulch. Most of the vines are pulled down out of the trees. It really cleans the site up and has some longevity.

The contractor has four or five weeks of backlog but we told him we wanted the work done by the end of September and he doesn't see an issue with getting it done in that timeframe. Even if it slips into early October, I'm not going to get worked up. I just want it done when the weather turns so it's ready for the survey.

Speaking of the survey, the contractor asked me to flag up the front property corners so he'd have better certainty on where the property boundary is. The "trails" down each lot line are pretty close but they meander a little bit and he has to keep of the neighbor's lots. The rear corners were still flagged up. It looks to me like the laths (stakes) in the front probably got knocked out with the final grooming of the ditches.

I borrowed a "listener" from work and went back out there Sunday afternoon and uncovered those front property corners. We have three which include the southeast and southwest lot corners and the "PC" or point of curvature of the road right-of-way. For those wondering, a "listener" is just a specialized metal detector that is purpose built for finding iron rods (rebar) marking property corners. Here's a look at the three corners flagged up....

20210822_142117_copy_2016x1512.jpg

Almost forgot, the power poles are up in the entire section now. The line is strung on everything but our street so I'm guessing that's coming soon. Here's looking up our street with our lot up on the left in the curve...

20210822_144045_copy_2016x1512.jpg

And here's a look from the far side of the creek, looking towards our section and the low water crossing....

20210822_131614_copy_2016x1512.jpg

No news on the bridge but we're moving ahead. I guess that's it for now friends. There probably won't be much news until after the underbrushing is done. Thanks for following along.

Reactions: 12 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The underbrushing was completed late last week. We went out to see it on Sunday. The land clearing company did a beautiful job. There's not much Kudzu left. They cleaned up the "trail", which was previously cut roughly down each lot line by the developer. You're supposed to leave a 20' strip around the perimeter untouched but quite a bit of that fell within the "trails" so not much of the lot didn't get underbrushed. We were allowed by the POA to go ahead and clear/underbrush all of the front that had Kudzu, since it's in everyone's interest to clear that out, and everything under it was pretty much dead already.

Before...
20210822_142117_copy_2016x1512.jpg

After.....

20210926_110003_copy_1008x756.jpg

Before.....

20210822_142719_copy_2016x1512.jpg

After....

20210926_104414_copy_1008x756.jpg

This is roughly 200' back from the street (the lot is roughly 420' deep).....

20210926_104517_copy_1008x756.jpg

It really cleaned the place up. The weather has turned down here (mostly mid 80's at this point). I'm planning to get the survey done next month. I guess that's it for now friends.

Reactions: 11 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor