Cadillac 500 Build for my 1984 Regal (LOTS OF PIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Block, heads and crank ready for assembly.

IMG_3290_zpsa2262d99.jpg

IMG_3238.jpg

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
I enjoyed all the detailed pictures and write up. Always nice to see someone taking the time to put an engine together the right way. Yet another project that is making me contemplate using a Caddy 500 in my Monte. I'm interested to see how it runs with the nitrous.

Out of curiosity, are you an engineer of some sort?

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
X2 on the engineer question. Also, what kind of RPMs are you expecting from this engine, after all of the balancing and machine work? I'm a bit curious as to the rest of the driveline in the car. If I was looking at the photos correctly, it looks like the trans is a 200R4, and the rear axle looks like a 9" Ford-am I correct?

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
drogg1 said:
I enjoyed all the detailed pictures and write up. Always nice to see someone taking the time to put an engine together the right way. Yet another project that is making me contemplate using a Caddy 500 in my Monte. I'm interested to see how it runs with the nitrous.
Out of curiosity, are you an engineer of some sort?

The nitrous will likely not be used until next season. I think there is a leak in the plumbing from the previous owner and it needs to be gone through.

Driving the caddy is like driving a diesel truck engine, except the engine can rev pretty decent with the right cam. If you are happy with 450hp output I would say go with the caddy. Beyond that you are getting into longevity issues, as the aftermarket hasn't caught up with the potential of these beasts. (That is only my opinion). MTS did make a 600/600 hp/tq monster that they called a "pump gas street engine" so its totally possible. Keep in mind though, with the 400hp you are getting a ridiculous amount of torque.

The swaps are made fairly easily now too, as there are parts available for the swap. Headers are offered by 1 company as a direct fit at the moment. If you want decent headers, you will need to shell out $1200 for a custom set.

Its very easy to make power with these engines.

I am a Technologist (Mechanical Engineering). I work for a metal fab shop which is certainly fun with this hobby.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Very well written and documented. Can't wait to see it make a pass.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
With the rotating assembly, I am good to 6000rpm, maybe even higher. There is one guy that went to 8000+ rpm with a different casting crank, and domestic brand pistons and rods.

However, I will probably be all out of power at 4900 with these heads and intake. So rev limited to 5500.

Driveline is a TH400, now full manual valve body from TransGo. Rear end is a Moser 9" I was told. I will find out when I try to put my GM wheels on it I guess :)

I've got 2000 pix of this thing being built. The pictures are probably confusing because it was built twice and I did a lot of tweaking all the way through. This is why if you are keen at finding details, you will notice the pix don't flow with each other. Its more or less how it "should have been built" the way I am posting. Will take some time to get the whole story on here though. Stay tuned.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
During the assembly stage, since the rest of the engine had quality parts, it didn't make sense to keep running the econo rockers I had. So I decided to upgrade to the MTS shaft rockers, along with a couple of other things, like a PowerMaster 9600 Mini Starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor