cadillac transmission/overall issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i know this is not about g bodies but i have got some weird issues with my cadillac. first off i have a issue with the car basically cutting out and often dieing when it happens. it is almost as if the fuel pump is messing up but is pretty new.... second issue happened today, i was driving and all of a sudden the transmission basiacally just let go and the motor just reved up as if the transmission was not even there so i tried to switch into every gear and i had absolutly nothing, i turned the car off and restarted it and it started working but only for about 10 seconds, i some how got the car home and in the driveway. i checked the transmission fluid and it for some odd reason looked really thin and was a bit higher then it should have been. is there maybe a radiator issue and maybe coolent is leaking into the transmission fluid?? maybe the torque converter gave out??? i am stumped?!?!?!?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i'd definately pop the radiator cap and look for "strawberry yogurt". either way the trans is shot.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
please dont say that! the transmission started to work properly right before i got it home and was even shifting gears properly so i dont think it is shot yet...

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
what color is the fluid? is your coolant clean? it can't hurt to change the filter, so i'd try it.
double check you shifter, make sure it's not popping into neutral. mine did that occasionally, drove me nuts trying to find the problem.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
Well i would not say it is shot! i don't know the year but lots of GM cars and vans from the early 90's had ECM problems if the car was jumped or had an electrical surge the ECM would drop the line pressure in the trans making it slip like crazy. It might also need flushing if has not been done in the last 50K miles. Smell the tans fluid to see if it smells "funny" or "burnt". If not and if it needs a flush then go to a trans shop and have them scan it, flush it and bring a quart of Lucas trans fix, that will firm it up a bit. Trust me I've been there done that. Don't freak out yet.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Are your engine mounts in good condition? If not, the engine may have rocked over and the trans could have been knocked out of gear. There is also the possibility of bad shifter bushings or another linkage related problem.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i don't know the year but lots of GM cars and vans from the early 90's had ECM problems if the car was jumped or had an electrical surge the ECM would drop the line pressure in the trans making it slip like crazy

very good point, however i think that was the 4l60e which came out a few years later. plus that should trigger a check engine light. i could be wrong though.
i would not flush the trans. the shop i used to work at had problems with cars that had shift problems before the flush. even when the fluid looked ok, the car could drive in, drive out and a week later...hello tow truck.[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor