CALIFORNIA: $1000 FINE FOR ALTERED EXHAUST

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just waiting for the day when California makes cars unpopular enough that a new car culture mecca springs up somewhere else.

I am just waiting for the day when California makes cars unpopular enough that a new car culture mecca springs up somewhere else.

Already is...All over the place. Salt Lake City has a big tuner/custom scene, as does Arizona, Texas, Michigan, Tennessee, Kentucky, etc. California may have been the birthplace of the hot rod culture, but it's being bullied and intimidated out of the state.

Reactions: 83beater
So glad I live in America. But by the state of the roads the first sub 32 degree day you'd think it's Afghanistan after a thousand IED 'splosions.

This is from the link CaliWagon83 posted:

What are my options if I get a ticket?

Consumers in receipt of a ticket still have the option of seeking a certificate of compliance from the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) demonstrating that their exhaust emits no more than 95-decibels. This SEMA-sponsored program allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued. BAR does not currently issue preemptive certificates of compliance.

If I get pulled over, will I receive a $1,000 fine?

According to the Judicial Council of California’s Uniform Bail and Penalty Schedules for 2019, the suggested base fine/fee for a first conviction is $25 with a total fee of $193.

So $1000 is the max fine for repeat offenders. How loud is 95 dB, anyway?

EDIT: I see one answer that it's like inside a subway train. Or like outside such train from 200 feet (you're closer than that as it approaches your loading point, of course). Which would be ironic, since subways are supposed to replace cars in cities ....

Last edited:
Salt Lake City has a big tuner/custom scene

Last I heard, Utah was bringing older cars in the Salt Lake City area under smogcheck. I forget exactly how old (1968...?), but worse than California (currently starts at 1976 forever). And I believe Utah smogcheck is at least as bad as California. Looks to be targeted at the very scene you mention.

Last edited:
My understanding is that this isn't a change in the law, but rather stepped-up enforcement. Unfortunately, if you get a citation, the onus is on you to prove that it's compliant to the noise limit. https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2019/02/fact-vs-fiction-explaining-californias-new-exhaust-noise-law

That is a great article of which contents of the video conflict. I don't see or understand how the courts will not dismiss a "non correctable" violation if the referee/bar verifies legally that you are not in any violation of the law. Why would it not be dismissed as being cited wrongfully? As much as I am not a fan of traffic courts, I want to say that if you stay within the legal limits and have legal verifications that you are not violating this ordinance than the courts can and will justifiably dismiss it. I hope that I never have to face this issue. *hoping that is*.
Oh and the guy in the video also said that even if you are from out of state....yeah that does not make sense. How can you fine an individual for an ordinance that isn't applied in your state of residence? I don't know. I hope I never find out.
Idaho or Texas will be where I'm looking to avoid these dumb rules.

"49 STATE COMPLIANT". That pretty much says it all about Cali laws on motor vehicles. Most aftermarket parts have this disclaimer.

Reactions: fleming442
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor