Cam suggestions.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibu350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2009
Southport, NC
For the past 25 years, I have built Mopars, and decided I wanted to play with something different. I bought a decent little '81 Malibu with a transplanted 350 under the hood. I found out that #8 is not firing or is very weak. All is well with the ignition, so either I have a valve train problem or a burned valve. I fear the latter. Anyhow, I am prepared to tear the beast down for a valve job, and thought while I was at it, a little cam might be nice. What would you fellows of Chevy experience recommend :?: I want something with good low end for the street, that will be kind to the valve train and maybe something that would have a slightly noticeable idle.............not a lot of "lump", but a little. I thought maybe some kind of stock profile stick might do it, but as I say, Chevys are new to me and I need some advice. What are your thoughts on Lunati's VooDoo cams? Thanks!!! I appreciate any and all replies.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I have a Comp XE 262 and love it. It has a wide LSA for good idle quality and produces prodigious amounts of torque. As you did not state the rest of the combo, it is difficult to make a more accurate assessment of your needs.

malibu350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2009
Southport, NC
I bought the car with the engine already in. If it is more than stock, it is not much. It has shorty headers, an Edelbrock AFB and and MSD ignition. It might have upgraded pistons, I don't know. It is an older block, according to the casting numbers. They tell me it came from a late 60s or early 70s Camaro. It supposedly has some type of "mileage" cam. I don't hear much roughness in the idle. Guell I'll find out when I tear into it!

gprimm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 19, 2008
Bolingbrook, IL
First, gotta compliment you on your Gun Control tag . . . perfect.

Ok. We just finished my son's 1978 wagon. The engine builder uses Howard cams and talked to their tech people after talking to us about the use, gear ratio (3.23), trans (7000-R4). The trans wouldn't make a difference though.

The Cam installed is Howard part #112571. .440 intake lift, 268 duration (215 @.050), .465 exhaust with 276 duration (225 @ .050). Lobe center line 112+4. 10:1 compression, stock rebuilt 1971 heads. Estd to provide 320 hp and 390 ft. lb. or torque. Torque is fantastic.

After driving it for the last month and out to the Air Force Academy last weekend, it was a perfect pick. At 1/3 throttle she's lighting them up. Accelerates great and the driveability is excellent. Slight lope with a great idle and if you listen a car guy will know. Comp Cams has a very similar cam. I am thinking about putting this in my 1971 Monte and replacing the Comp Cams XE268.

Prior to taking it out last week, on a Weds. night I was driving it home and at a stop light. A new Hemi Chrysler 300 pulls up and he knows there is something by the dual exhaust and deep tone. Well, I am not going to do anything, but he takes off so I do to, although he got a jump, I was 1/2 a fender behind when he let up; I didn't. When we stopped at the next light he just looked with a very surprised look. A 1978 wagon just was "right there" after him taking off first and me accelerating normally for the first 40 feet.

George, Bolingbook, IL.

malibu350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2009
Southport, NC
Thanks for the compliment on my "tag". As an ex-Marine and 5 years in part-time police work, guns are a big part of my life. There is no better deterrant to crime than an armed citizen. My wife and I both have concealed carry permits and we DO carry.

I appreciate the information on the Howard cam. Quite a tale about jumping on the new Mopar. I did the same thing a while back, but, with my '91 Olds wagon with a 305. The outcome was not as impressive. :oops:

Sounds like this is what I need. I have learned that my engine was used in Camaros from '68-'72 in both 2 and 4 bolt main. The heads have the 1.94 intakes (casting # 333882). Looks like a decent little 350 to work with. For the rear end, I was thinking 3:55s, but sounds like the 3:23s should be plenty. I put a new MSD Street Fire distributor in the other day. It had an MSD box and external coil, but I changed all that out. Got it all set up and seems to run fine. My total advance is about 40* @ 2800 RPM.

Thanks again for the info!

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
if you ever have the chance, look at the back of the block. if you have the numbers 010 20, you have one of the strongest gen1 blocks. it's a high nickel content block mostly used in trucks and HP camaros.
as for the cam, comp cams also has the thumper series which have a more noticeable idle without compromising your driveability.

malibu350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2009
Southport, NC
Where would these numbers be on the block? I found the casting number on the driver's side just behind the head.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
they sit on the back of the block, but you can't see them with the trans attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor