Holley pump cam help

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
I may be missing something here but since you recovered the old carb and it used to run great with it, why not rebuild that and put it back on?
The 3310 seems to be THE standard go to performance carb or at least it was for a long time. My brother has a 3310 on his 69 chevelle and it runs fantastic with no other adjustments than idle mixture and curb idle speed. It however is not stock. It is a 10;1 350 with headers a holley high rise dual plane intake which is basically a carbon copy of the dz 302 or lt1 factory intake and the cam is a [email protected] 300* advertised on a 108 lobe separation.
In fact the 3310 made its name as being original equipment on several hi po chevys in the 60's

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I've never understood why so many people think that a universal part is going to be just right, right out of the box. Probably the worst thing somebody with no knowledge can do is to remove something that has been working and replace it with something far removed from what worked before, rather than find/fix what is wrong.

I might have missed it, but you have to readjust the pump lever any time the idle is adjusted. The way I was taught was to run the engine, lift up on the outer end of the lever, and adjust it so there is no bog when released. That method will ensure that as soon as the throttle is moved, pump shot begins.

Reactions: 3 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
why not rebuild that and put it back on?

so many people think that a universal part is going to be just right, right out of the box.
I agree completely. This guy just wants it to 'run great' no matter how out of whack it really is.
I now have the old carb in my possession. I have never taken a Holley apart so this a learning experience. However, what I have learned over the years, is to never CHANGE anything. It just needs to be cleaned, that is all. I also noticed that the old carb was running on it's idle circuit, because the throttle plates were completely closed. That means the old carb was probably idling fine and adjusted properly.
This new one will only run with the throttle cranked open a lot. When I first saw it, the rpm was around 2500, just to keep running. After the last adjustment, it was at 1250. As far as he is concerned, that is OK, but my instincts tell me there is a huge problem here.
It is raining cats and dogs today so I will wait for better weather to start cleaning the old carb. You can be sure I will be back with more questions.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Yes... much involved when it comes to tuning holley carburetors because each engine is different and they are set somewhat rich out of the box.

Most poeple often complain about the fuel richness smell at idle, thats where tuning on the metering block idle feed restrictions and advanced idle engine timing needs to be done to combat those issues.

As an example, my holley street avenger 770, the one that came with the car, i had the same rich smell a idle. So i had a look at my metering block and found out the IFR(idle feed restriction) was holley set .033, and that is what dictates the amount of fuel at idle before it travels to the idle mixture screws. I did get rid of the richness smell at idle by placing a small peice of .015 wire in both the IFR, effectively reducing the surface area that equals .029 size.

No matter how i adjusted the idle mixture screws for highest vacuum, i still had that richness smell. Since i was back in the game after many years getting another classic car and learning about carburetors all over again, i did many hours of research on how to tune holley carburetors, Thanks to the interwebs, theres a wealth of information to be had at your finger tips, back in the early 90s, sure you had books and magazines, but true experience was still lacking, but not for long.

Fast forward to getting a hold of a used, but clean, then rebuilt, holley street avenger 670, the crate engine model, the IFR is holley set to .026 and guess what, no more richness smell at idle, and i still had normal control of the idle mixture screws to adjust for highest vacuum. Standard holley carburetors have non adjustable orifices(IFR/PVCR/AIB-HSAB/emulsion/siphon break), unlike the race models or aftermarket units, and the only thing i made adjustable was the power valve channel restriction(PVCR), purpose to allow more fuel enrichment when the power valve opens to rely less on the main jets for better fuel economy.

I carefully drilled out the the holley set .044 PVCR to accept a 8-32 x 3/16" brass screw restrictor and used a 8-32 national course tap to create the threads, then i used a pin vise drill and drilled the blank brass screw restrictor center to .048 for more fuel enrichment through the power valve channels. I know this is a lot to take in and sounds intimidating, but there are aftermarket billet metering blocks that are adjustable, so if you plan on doing it yourself, i dont recomend using the original metering block, find yourself another holley metering blocks to practice on that are similar to the size(cfm) carburetor you want to modify, keep it matched. I went on ebay and found two clean but still usable holley 600cfm metering blocks for cheap, i planned everything out and took my time, kinda ruined one just a pinch i think, but not the other and used that one in my 670SA carburetor since the 600cfm blocks are similar. I left the IFR alone, the holley pressed in restrictors were already sized .026 and all i did was modify the PVCR to .048, and is fully functional on the ZZ4 crate ngine as we speak.

Example Video:

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Mark, yes holley's are quite different from a q jet but most people will tell you they are much simpler to rebuild than a q jet.
Now truth be told I don't mess with holley's all that much or carter/edlebrocks either I have always preferred a good q jet and have always had very good luck with them. Even still I do own the SA books on both Holley and Carter carbs, as well as 2 different books on q jets in my automotive reference library.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Thanks for that info. Every day I learn something here.
I am going to go out on a limb and say that I am hoping the old carb was correct for this engine and worked well. At last I hope so. It would make my day to clean up the old one, and place it in service, and have it perform perfectly. Then say to him that he bought a brand new $500 paperweight. The old timer that first did all this work was a Vietnam vet friend of mine that was a Chevy racer and really knew how to set up a Holley. I am hoping he worked his magic on that old carb.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have always preferred a good q jet
Jim, you would not believe all the guys on other forums that say just that. As the Holley gurus go on and on about what they did to get them running right, someone will jump in and say- "A Q-jet- all day long". I have said it over and over to the guy that a Q-jet would not have all these problems. It falls on deaf ears. He is one of those guys that outfits a car from reading Hot Rod magazine and a Scummit catalog, or what he sees at car shows.

It is going to take some time to open and clean that old carb. The plan now is to go back and let the car idle at whatever works just to shut him up.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Here's something I have on the ol' computer that may be of some use for your rebuild. BTW, the 4175 spread bore carbs are easy to work with. Not a ready to run out of the box but the model I got only needed slight air/fuel & timing.

Attachments

• Holley diagrams 199r10014rev1.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 19

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Grunt, that is a great chart. Do you have that for the 3310 series?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor