Holley pump cam help

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
That is the first I have heard of the compression, thanks for that. But it makes me wonder why when we bumped the timing to 12° it was hard to start, like it was too far advanced.
Has anyone checked to see if the balancer ring has slipped?

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
No. Supposedly this engine only has several thousand miles on it. When it was first installed the car only went to car shows and stuff like that. Never raced or abused. Then it sat for almost 20 years. I guess it could have slipped but only a TDC test would confirm that.

Reactions: 1 user

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
With an engine that has sat for 20yrs, anything can go wrong as it obviously shows... check compression, check distributor, readjust the valves, check for TDC with cylinder #1 with balancer mark, the elastemor(rubber ring) thas between the hub and balancer has probably dried/cracked and shifted showing incorrect timing while running.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, I am seeing this car is a bottomless pit of neglect. Not only was it probably set up all wrong, it was ignored for far too long. The only reason I was called in to help is that I ' know about old cars'. I am beginning to regret that.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I tracked down the second owner. The guy that had all the work done. He remembered me as the mailman with the long hair that drove the truck. He knew a lot, and even had receipts. He bought the car around 1988, low miles, six cylinder, automatic, only 10 years old. Most of the work [ engine, trans, brakes] was done in the early 90's. He said the Targetmaster was chosen because he just wanted a nice cruiser. The T-400 came from a local Lee Miles transmission shop they all used. The code on the Holley says the year of manufacture was a '5' and yes, it could actually be a 1985. The rear gears were left stock, because it came with a six, so it had OK gearing. I haven't had a chance to find the axle code yet, but they are not dead gears. He said it ran very good, did not stall in gear, and had a smooth low idle. The radiator is the original brass 6 cylinder model, was very clean, and never over heated. He used it mostly for car shows and cruising locally. The reason he parked the car was that he had hurt his back moving dead bodies [he worked at a funeral home] and had to retire early.

This tells me that the only thing that changed was the 750 was replaced by the 600 cfm carb. The transmission oil is over 30 years old. Theoretically, with a transmission oil change, and a carb overhaul, this thing should be as good as it used to be. Stay tuned.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor