Cam to go with vortec heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmoknMali

Apprentice
Jan 14, 2013
I have used a couple of cams thru my days of burning up the streets...But one stuck out. It was the 480/480 230@50 with the 110 lobe seperation. I makes power right off the back 2k...and pulls hard to 6k. That rpm range is pretty legit for street and strip use. Nice chop on idle...A couple companies make them.

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
SmoknMali said:
I have used a couple of cams thru my days of burning up the streets...But one stuck out. It was the 480/480 230@50 with the 110 lobe seperation. I makes power right off the back 2k...and pulls hard to 6k. That rpm range is pretty legit for street and strip use. Nice chop on idle...A couple companies make them.

I had one of those from Cam Techniques. One of my favorite cams ever.

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
I'm no engine guru, but I doubt a single-pattern cam would make as much power and be as calm as a dual-pattern on these heads - the intakes are just SO much better than the exhaust

88olds421

Apprentice
Oct 20, 2009
Raleigh, NC
On the 350 I had in my car with the vortec head I had used z28 valve springs with the comp cams extreme energy 268 grind and 1.6 roller rockers. Great cam and the motor made good power. about 400 hp I was using a 750 cfm vacuum secondary holley. A 650 would have been better and had purchased one. Then I decided to build the 406 that chevy high performance did with these heads and the .480 230@50 lunati cam. Since I was having to purchse all new bottom end I ended up going with a 421. This motor makes great power and the heads are topped out in flow. They are good to about 450 hp or so. but the torque is fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor