CUTLASS Can anyone confirm the location of a vacuum ball behind passenger headlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
This is how an original looks like, notice the plastic hose is a light pink color as it's further away from the engine the color starts to turn to a purple color. This picture is from my engine. Yes its time to change my valve cover gaskets those are original
20230227_192523.jpg

RotaryLvr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2022
Thank you for the picture and the explanation of the hose color! It does explain the issue.
That said, I did join the H/O club and they did say that the car is number 1014 build of the 3500 and built 6 Jan 84. Strangely enough, it was bought in Sanford, florida. The clittle corrosion indicated does not indicate a northern car. So, I don't know why it has the plug. My hope was that if someone ordered that special piece of kit, they might have also optioned the posi, but not to be! Before Atlanta, I believe it resided in Kentucky. Further, the CarFax doesn't go back far enough. I think it stopped in the early 2000's.
So, I think then, I need to hook up that hose to that third nipple presently covered by the plug...if I understand the conversation and conclusions. Whew!
Oh, and no driver door tags. I had to have those reproduced. The car has been repainted but I have no clue why the tags were removed instead of being covered.

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Sometimes the options people order are weird. When I ordered my 85 442 I got everything but the block heater and lamp monitors. But I almost went with the block heater. So it happens.

Reactions: 1 user

RotaryLvr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2022
Florida and block heaters just don't go together. Just imagine the look on my face when I was untangling that nicely wrapped but very dusty, grimy cord! Yeah, weird! So when you ordered the car, you would then have gotten the posi unit I'm surmising.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Florida and block heaters just don't go together. Just imagine the look on my face when I was untangling that nicely wrapped but very dusty, grimy cord! Yeah, weird! So when you ordered the car, you would then have gotten the posi unit I'm surmising.
Yup. Everything except the lamp monitors and block heater. G80 had to be asked for specifically. The salesman handed me the check off list and I checked all the boxes I wanted. Interestingly, K05 was not listed on the "Select-a-unit" packages either, so SOMEONE had to specifically check that box. I ordered mine when I lived in Charleston, SC so there's not much need for block heaters there, either.

84 H/O didn't come with the U46 lamp monitors. Wasn't available as an option. But it was for 85 442. I didn't like how the fender bumps looked, so I opted not to have them. K05 was available in 84 and 85 on all.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Looking at your SPID sticker in the trunk, just for kicks:

You have a slightly weird car.

It's sorta loaded with the kitchen sink, but then a kitchen sink option you would expect isn't there. I didn't see A90, power trunk release, but has a block heater. Weird. No G80 either. Perhaps it was a Florida snow-bird that ordered it in Florida and drove it back and forth up north. Who knows?

Here we go-

AC3 6 way power bucket
AU3 pwr dr locks
A01 soft ray tinted windows
A31 pwr side windows
B34/35 Front and rear carpeted mats
CC1 T-tops
CD4 pulse wipers
C49 rear defog
C60 A/C
GT4 3.73 rear gears
K05 block heater
K34 Cruise
N33 Tilt wheel
TR9 Convenience group
UA1 HD battery
UU6 Radio/cassette
U66 dual range rear speakers
U75 Power antenna
WL7 Popular option package discount (dealer had to check this one separate)
W40 H/O package
17L/17U Silver lower and upper paint. All 84 H/Os were like this. The black was never on the body tag, SPID or window sticker.

Pretty sure I didn't miss anything, but if I did, well, nobody's perfect.

Oh, just for grins, KM9 is for an aluminum intake manifold.

B82 and B89 and TL1 are important for H/O cars because B82 is exterior emblem delete for H/O, and B89 is black exterior window molding trim for H/O. TL1 signifies the black grilles for H/O.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
car is number 1014 build of the 3500 and built 6 Jan 84.
Your car was built a week before mine Jan 13, 84.
it was bought in Sanford, florida
It was norm back then for Dealers in other states swapping cars. For an example dealer I worked at in New England would have new 442's and Buick GN's just sitting around from November to April. Some of those cars were shipped to Dealers in warmer states that had a demand for them, but when it started to get warmer in my State those same cars were sold quickly. It wouldn't surprise me your car was from another state but sold in Florida. My car sat for 4 months before it sold, Dealer in Maine received it at the end of January sold at the end of April.

RotaryLvr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2022
This is great information. Is the aluminum intake manifold something special? I did see that I have it on the sticker. The trading of cars between dealers is not an unknown. I wonder if that theory applies here. What I don't know is when the car was sold to its first owner. I'm thinking that the H/O club has no more information. The original owners name pops up, but I think he's probably in some assisted living facility. Who knows how much information there may still be available. To some people a car is just a car.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Aluminum intake was pretty much standard on all 84 and up 307. Absolutely no difference in performance than the cast iron versions of old, just that they were lighter. They had cast iron ones in earlier 307 engines, but I believe 83 H/O had aluminum intake as well. It's just weird they felt the need to post up a service parts RPO code for it. It was sorta new-ish in 84 model year.

You're right. H/OCA will have dealer and original owner names, but after that, you're on your own tracking the history trail of your beast.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
As said, almost no difference in the intake, other than being aluminum. I never saw an A4 aluminum intake on anything but a 83 H/O, very rare up here in Canada. I worked on mostly RWD Delta 88, 98 and Buick Lesabre and Tornado. Of course the whole Cutlass line was sbc powered except the H/O, 442 and 88 CSC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor