Can anyone give me any reason to keep a hot air turbo engine over a LS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I would intercool it, just because I think it is way cool. I am not very warm to the LS swap but I know a lot of people think it is cool. I would chill on it a bit and you may warm up to keeping it near original with the cool intercooler mod or just chill to that idea and go with the cool LS swap.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I'd keep it v6 powered. that's the whole point of having a turbo regal. people who swap sbc in a turbo regal really should just have gotten an NA regal. I've seen legit turbo cars (hot air and intercooled) sbc swapped because "v8s are better bro". Or the 3.8 develops the slightest tick or knock and they yank it out by the scrote and jam in a sbc. If you do, for the love of god don't go around parading your "turbo regal". it'd no longer be a turbo regal, just a regal with a turbo.

Reactions: 1 user

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
For the record, I tried to buy a t top regular regal. There is just not many left. I over paid for this car and only bought it gor the t tops, I was trying to avoid buying a turbo car for the exact reason of people giving me a hard time about swapping it. There are allot more turbo buicks with t tops and regular regals. Most folks would have parted this car out with the amount of repairs that it needs. I have a theme in mind for this car and I may be changing the color to white which will make even more people mad. I think it will come out getting respect at the end. I fo not want to disclose my idea yet because I don't want anyone to steal the idea

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
I would leave the 3.8 in it thats just my opinion, like others have said you can all ways add the intercooler but its your car.
Value, it will be worth more with the turbo than an ls thats what the car was all about. Dont let 86-87 GN boys intimidate you out of all the years 86 and 87 GN's have been heavily modified and not everyone wants a 1000 hp car but there are a few originals and those are ones that will sell. I have two friends that have been running around like chickens the past two years buying up original parts for their GN's to go back to stock and I told them ten years ago keep the original parts, no i dont need them. They have spent more money hunting down original parts. Like I said its your car do what ever makes you happy.

Last edited:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
If you do it, be ready to be blacklisted by other Buick owners. I got a ton of flack years ago when I swapped out the 2bbl n/a V6 for a HO 305 which would ruin my Regal according to them. That is despite they totally ragged on n/a V6s, but God forbid if you swapped anything else in other than a intercooled turbo V6. But then again, LS guys can be raging snobs too.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Build the car how you want but save all the original parts. All Grand Nationals are collectible and they only made so many. Never know, 20 years from now you may want to restore it to factory stock. It'd be nice to still have all those original parts.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I cant wait to see all the un****ings of failed LS swaps.
>new hot air buyer (probably man-bun equipped)<
"Somebody halfassed this early 2000s truck motor in here and cut out the air conditioning! I want to make it factory like 1985.

Reactions: 4 users

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
Build it how you want it. Middle fingers to the people that say otherwise.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think the LS swaps will get dated. A great carb'd build is still nice today. The quality of the build lies with the attention to detail of the person doing it.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Meh. Send it with whatever you want under the hood.

Reactions: 1 user

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
I cant wait to see all the un****ings of failed LS swaps.
>new hot air buyer (probably man-bun equipped)<
"Somebody halfassed this early 2000s truck motor in here and cut out the air conditioning! I want to make it factory like 1985.

I'm not sure if that was supposed to insult me or what? My ls swap parts are all the holley ls swap stuff, full ac and all of the hvac staying. I hate when people rip that stuff out. From my research, the holley ls swap parts are the only ones that I believe are the correct way to do it, just my personal opinion.

I changed the plug wires and fuel filter tonight. The car runs and drives, sounds decent. I drove the car for the first time around the block. Roads are wet and it couldn't break the tires loose around a turn but it wanted to. It idles a little up and down but foesnt stall out anymore. It had a hyper tech stage 2 chip in it. It has noise coming from the back of the engine or trans. The previous owner said it had a flywheel or torque converter issue but had no clue what it was. I will further look into that tomorrow

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor