Can anyone help me to find a battery?

Cliffjjj

n00b
Sep 6, 2024
Hey Forum!
My name is Cliff Walter and I am located outside of ATL. I have a "Georgia owned" 1979 Chevrolet Malibu Classic 4 Door Sedan with 31k miles. It has the 305 4-Barrel V-8. I am trying to find out what the factory (assembly line) battery looks like and if there is anyone who sells new ones. Information about these vehicles is limited on the internet. At least, it is for me. Can anyone help me with this? I have attached a couple of pics. As you can see, it is undergoing a "light restoration" as everything except the paint and a few trim items were in great condition. I am just trying to get it back to as close to original condition as I can. I purchased it from a gentleman in his 80's. However, it wasn't "his" Malibu. It had belonged to his father-in-law who just has passed in the last few years. He drove it to his son-in-law's house and left it there, as he decided it was time to stop driving. That explains the low mileage. I can't call it a "barn find"...it is more like a "backyard find". LOL. Anyway, I would appreciate any help concerning the battery. Thanks for looking! Cliff Walter Tucker, Ga.

Attachments

• 20240905_163531.jpg
    20240905_163531.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240905_163601.jpg
    20240905_163601.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
Are you looking to put in a period correct, original style type battery? Liked Ribbedroof mentions, the old "eyeglass" hydrometer style with the green = good, dark/yellow = bad indicator? Those will likely just be reproductions, or current versions of the Delco brand that won't have the identical look.

If you're just looking for a replacement (modern) battery for everyday, you would just need to go with either a 75 or 78 group size battery in whatever brand you feel most comfortable with. I've actually had pretty good luck with Duralast Gold for friends and family daily drivers over the years.

If you have a need for connecting additional onboard electronics (ie; stereo, amps, ignitions, etc) you could also look into the DT (dual terminal) type ones in group size 34/75/78 that use TOP and SIDE terminals. Like the Diehard pic below for example.

1725675665666.png

1725676096998.png

I wouldnt mind paying just $20 for that plastic top to keep an original look, but 4x that..... nope.

I tried to get Burd to make some for the 85. He wouldn't do it unless I forked over a butt ton of money. So I made my own based on one of the other ones he sells. THEN Burd got off his azz and made some too. WTF.

85 442 Delco HD Battery Finished Lid.JPG

Are you looking to put in a period correct, original style type battery? Liked Ribbedroof mentions, the old "eyeglass" hydrometer style with the green = good, dark/yellow = bad indicator? Those will likely just be reproductions, or current versions of the Delco brand that won't have the identical look.

If you're just looking for a replacement (modern) battery for everyday, you would just need to go with either a 75 or 78 group size battery in whatever brand you feel most comfortable with. I've actually had pretty good luck with Duralast Gold for friends and family daily drivers over the years.

If you have a need for connecting additional onboard electronics (ie; stereo, amps, ignitions, etc) you could also look into the DT (dual terminal) type ones in group size 34/75/78 that use TOP and SIDE terminals. Like the Diehard pic below for example.

View attachment 245280
however, I would NEVER buy a Diehard RED. that's a 1-yr warranty
-options are Platinum (4yrs), Gold (3), Silver (2), Red (1), and then Value (<6months)
-Diehard AGM batteries are all 3yrs

you can also purchase an additional warranty that extends the warranty past the original length

• Agree
Reactions: 383_StealthRam
Any group 75 or 78 size should do as long as it has the minimum amount of amps required for your starter. Also be a good time to replace the battery cables too or at least clean the connections.

• Agree
Reactions: 383_StealthRam

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor