Can anyone take a pic of where this connects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I'm trying to make the high-speed blower work for the first time in 15 years of owning my car. I tracked it down to a lack of power in the red (always hot) wire on the high speed relay, which jumps power about 12" of wire away at this connector:

20220809_150436.jpg

Now I have temporarily run a constant power wire (fused) from the battery. I get the relay to work sometimes, so I'm thinking the relay is bad and I'll replace it.

But what is supposed to plug into this? I pulled the computer harness out 12 years ago, and while I have it tucked away, I don't want to go digging, but did I remove the other side of this?
Also anyone have a diagram that includes this connector?

Thanks!

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Thats the AC plug. Red is hot, light green goes to the high idle solenoid and the dark green and black go to the AC compressor. There should be a matching connector

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Regardless of where you tap in on the one of the red 12 gauge wires (circuit #2 in the diagrams) make sure there's a 30 amp fuse by the connector case the fusible link won't give it full protection to prevent the connector having possible melting issues down the road. Do this even if you have a dedicated wire with a fusible link off the starter. Was another one of GM's cost/corner cutting tactics.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Regardless of where you tap in on the one of the red 12 gauge wires (circuit #2 in the diagrams) make sure there's a 30 amp fuse by the connector case the fusible link won't give it full protection to prevent the connector having possible melting issues down the road. Do this even if you have a dedicated wire with a fusible link off the starter. Was another one of GM's cost/corner cutting tactics.
YIKES !!! My hot wire came off the alternator. It was in a factory splice soldered and taped with a bunch of black tape. Now I have to see if theres a link in the wire. I know theres no fuse.

• Agree

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
YIKES !!! My hot wire came off the alternator. It was in a factory splice soldered and taped with a bunch of black tape. Now I have to see if theres a link in the wire. I know theres no fuse.
No other links than the two at the starter.

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
I think the V6 cars had a third fusible link off the alternator which was for the EFE (Early Fuel Evaporation) heater grid under the carburetor? That was in lieu of the traditional mechanical heat riser type valve in the exhaust to divert some heat through intake/EGR cross-under passages.

The two coming off the starter solenoid fed the blower motor relay, ignition switch, fuse block, headlight switch, horn relay, etc...

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Thats the AC plug. Red is hot, light green goes to the high idle solenoid and the dark green and black go to the AC compressor. There should be a matching connector
I only have 3 pins, light green and black.
Would the other side have been in the computer harness that comes through the passenger side firewall? I removed that (complete thankfully) a long time ago. I will look at the wiring coming up off the starter though, thank you. I may have it tucked out of the way on the driver's fenderwell.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
On my old 1972 Catalina the red 12 volt wire for the AC/blower came off the junction where ALL the red wires on the engine were spliced together. The alternator sensor wire worked off that junction too. BUT- it also had an in-line 30 amp fuse holder for protection. I have done that same rigging to all my older cars with AC.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
No other links than the two at the starter.
I just looked at what I have. One wire coming aff the alternator that splits into 3. One goes to the bulkhead connector, one goes to the AC and the last goes to the starter and that one has the fusible link. Im assuming thats fine since I copied the original harness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor