Candy silver metallic paint process started 2/20/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got another update to the on going painting process. Can only work it on week ends due to day job.
But after 3 full weekends here is where it stands now. I still have some touch ups to do and removal of the hood
to get the edges and underside. Also some of the passenger side needs a little more blending.
Overall not bad. Next comes the Modified Rebel Flag on the roof, And the clear coat.

I'm going to let the base coat cure a bit before wet sanding and spraying the clear coat.

004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG

Alright, Here is another progress update. We laid out the Rebel Flag ( modified version) on the roof of the car with
about a 2" inset from the roll off the roof line. Here are the pics of the graphic as they are painted.
The addition of 8 Punisher Skulls will be placed on the blue cross area. A cobalt black diamond graphic will mark the center.

003.JPG

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 332
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    873.5 KB · Views: 370
Well, Today was another all day event, Just finished up after a full 6:30 am to 7:30 pm stint.
Full tape job, Finished off all the touch up work in silver save for the hood and front bumpers 3rd coat.
Wet sanded all the touch up areas w/ 800 grit. And then got to work on the clear coat.
I cleared coated about 75% of the car today. It took a good many coats to get it to smooth out.
The metal flake makes this paint very porous. And it soaks up the clear. I made at least 5 passes
on the roof and finally got it to look pretty good. Same with the trunk lid. Seams the flat panels are much
harder to get smooth than the sides. But we're looking good.

Tomorrow is a rain day so it will have to wait to be finished again. Most of the final work will be in
the hood top and bottom as well as the edges and the inside of the trunk which will get done last.
Then I'll run the clear coat until I run out of rough areas and get the butter smooth I'm looking for.
So far she's badd azz. Can't wait to shoot for GBOTM. We're going to get some really good pics
for the final nail in the coffin. All my skulls will really like that....
check out these pics
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG

Last edited:
Been a challenge getting good weekend days to paint. This day turned out bad (rain) So i've been
at the computer most of the day. I got my hood prepped and painted the engine side of it.
I also got my hood hinges removed and repainted after a good 24 soak in PB blaster.
The hinge points were very dry and extremely tight. so if tomorrow is good I should be able
to take things to completion. Then just buffing and a good wax job after things cure out a bit.

Well this morning it rained so I was delayed for 3 hours getting started. But anyway I got all the silver
done on the car. Front bumper, Front header panel, hood sides, top and another coat underneath.
Hood reinstalled. I did not have enough time to get the clear done.
So we are looking at another session to get the clear coat finished up.
So hear are the newest pics taken today.
002.JPG
005.JPG
007.JPG

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    1,022.4 KB · Views: 402
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    967.4 KB · Views: 458
Making good progress Blaze so when do you think you are going to start the clear that is what I want to see.

Well i'm 30 days in already. several of those weekends were washouts.
But I'm off Friday through Sunday this coming weekend. so I have a better chance
of getting it done.

Actually some of the clear is already done. The trunk and rear bumper are great.
Because this paint goes on very rough (because of the flake) it needs to be wet
sanded prior to the final coats of clear so it adds extra steps. Now the hood and front
end needs a good coat of clear to catch up. Both sides are cleared but need that
final wet sand and finish coats applied. Not counting the labor i'm still
within budget at $450. So I'm $50 to the good. And I have all the clear I need to finish.
Remember the pics do not even show how much this paint glitters in the sun light.
It is dazzling. And the rebel flag logo turned out better than I thought.
I'm happy so far. Family not so much. They say I'm possessed.
I told them it's Gbody Disease.:blam:

I can sort of see the metal flake on the hood picture the rest of the pictures it just looks like silver, regardless I still think it already looks a lot better than your old black paint job.
You will have to get some good pictures out in the sun when it is totally done.

Oh yeah, We plan on some good photos to come. And wouldn't you know the weather forcast
for this fri,sat,sun = Rain. Just my damn luck

The old paint job was cheap and quick. Just $60 for the paint and a very quick shoot
over just 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor