Car Show Phony's

Status
Not open for further replies.

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
I go to the car shows a lot and I see cars that are built by someone else. :wtf: I have no respect for those guy's. (I guess a fool and their money are some parted). But when I see someone who built the car themselves, they deserve the trophy and awards. I want to pimpslap the first F.A.G. that brought up the idea of putting crying dolls with their car..What's that got to do with a car show? Other making their 2 ton wife happy she contributed..

Attachments

• timeout-doll-P2.jpg
    timeout-doll-P2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,007

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I did not build my car...

Most of what is there is how I bought it. But I do work on my car. When stuff breaks, I fix it. I do the constant up keep, tuning, and tweeking. I also do small mods whenever I can afford it, like the shifter I just installed.

Yeah, it bugs me when guys show off cars that they haven't even touched. It bugs me when they don't give credit to those who built it. But I find most guys are fairly modest, and do acknowledge others.

I'm limited by space, tools, and funds. I only got out of school last year, and don't even have my own place. My tools are all scavanged and lost by my idiot brother, and our garage is barely big enough to park the car in - let alone work on it. I always say I'm learning with what I have, and soon as my situation permits, I will start building my own car.

... but in the mean time, what's wrong with driving to a car show, popin my hood open, and enjoying the day?

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
On the other hand . You got a person that loves a certain car type . but has no mechanical skills or knowledge of ho to start. Those people get someone to build to what they want. I see no issue there. As for cost . Well I know I got way more $ in building my cars part by part and my time (which is getting more valuable to me) . Than a shop building from start to finish .

No different than going buy a new car off lot.

Otherwords they got car in months done . I got cars I'm still putting $in because I didnt have funds to do it how I wanted first time. And its been years.

But I agree they should give credit to the shop . I do for my motors builders and stuff.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
I know exactly what you are saying. I did all of the work on my car so I hate being beat by people who paid to have it all done. But, it's really about the cars. If it comes down between my car and another car, the one that is the nicest should get the award. When the judges walk around, they don't know or care who did the work. They are judging the car, not the skills of the owner.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
I'm more upset of the fact that people have the nerve to bring out new Mustangs, Camaro's, Challengers, and Chargers to shows with nothing done more than some lame stripes and an aftermarket "cold air" intake. Leave that at home or in the parking lot where it belongs.

A couple weeks ago me and my father went to a big cruise night near us, one we always go to. We ended up seeing alot of radical stuff, including Troy Trepanier's "Notorious" Nova. At least $250,000 invested in the car, parts, and labor. The guy didn't build it himself but he brought it out and honestly I'd rather see someone's high dollar ride, over a hacked up rusted out anything.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
I used to have little respect for people whose only tool was a checkbook, but as I get older, the one thing I can't buy is more time. I still do all my own work, but I'm a little more tolerant. On the other hand, I thought the stupid dolls came and went in the 90s. The thing now appears to be small plastic dogs that are lifting their leg on a tire. Why is THAT attractive?

markcp

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2007
Thats fine with me if they purchase a car already done. What is worse, is when they are disappointed that they didn't win their category in a car show. Then they start by saying I spent x amount on interior, x amount on paint, x amount on motor, all done by professionals, not themselves. Sad thing is money talks, and those who spend the most, often leave with the trophy. The guy that does the work himself can't always compete.

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
carmangary said:
Who needs a trophy when you are driving a trophy?

AMEN CARMANGUY!!! People who are safe in the knowledge that they did their car their way by themselves don't need a trophy. The people who strive to win car shows are probably filling the "built by yourself" void.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
85montemj said:
carmangary said:
Who needs a trophy when you are driving a trophy?

AMEN CARMANGUY!!! People who are safe in the knowledge that they did their car their way by themselves don't need a trophy. The people who strive to win car shows are probably filling the "built by yourself" void.
X2..........That being said.I didn't build my motor, however I have the builder's name on my valve covers...I give credit where credit is due..................Having these cars are great and they are never done.....It's funny, the Wife always asks " What's next" LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor